Delayed Write Failure

volswagn

Delayed Write Failure

Post by volswagn »

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem where the drive that NewsPro is on eventually dies after a few months and starts disappearing under Windows? I'm not blaming NewsPro, it's just that this has happened twice now.

The first time I had a large hard drive that was partitioned into several parts with one partition hosting my NewsPro database & downloaded files. Eventually the whole drive would just disappear with delayed write failed.

So I eventually set up a totally new computer and figured this time I would have a dedicated drive to NewsPro and offload data files as soon as they were downloaded to that drive, and I would make sure to keep the database size under control, make sure the drive had plenty of extra space, and make sure it was always defragmented.

That lasted about four months and now the same thing is happening to this totally new drive on a totally new computer.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so, is there any way around it? I can't keep going through drives like this. All tests say the drive is OK. I have several other drives hooked up to this machine and the one with NewsPro database is always the one that ends up dying...

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
alex

Post by alex »

what do you mean a drive disappears?

you cannot see the drive letter or it stops working completely and you have to replace it?

if it is wear and tear (usually after several years) it may depend on how the drive has been used. if it is a catastrophic failure it may be not even mechanical, might be controller, i don't know exactly these things.

application level is completely isolated from the low driver/hardware level, newspro only uses high-level system functions to deal with files.
volswagn

Post by volswagn »

I allocated a new SerialATA drive, 80GB, ONLY to NewsPro. I'll be fresh from a reboot, and I'll startup NewsPro and download new headers. Within a few minutes of using NewsPro, either via downloading headers, or through downloading binaries, NewsPro will suddenly crash and the drive will display "Delayed Write Failure," as if the drive had died. Then the drive letter disappears.

No amount of rescanning for the drive through Device Manager will recover it. I need to reboot to see the drive again.

When I reboot, Windows runs through a Scandisc and then corrects any errors (since the drive stopped in the middle of an operation).

It's puzzling because this is the second NewsPro drive I've had and the second to exhibit exactly this behavior. Last time it killed the whole drive because I had multiple partitions on it. This time I decided to give a whole drive to NewsPro so it wouldn't take more than NewsPro and downloaded files with it.

Second time same thing, different motherboard/system entirely. Same behavior though.

I was just curious if anyone else had the same problem. Again, I wasn't blaming NewsPro, I just wondered if downloading files and transferring them (I usually download maybe 5GB a week total or less) or downloading headers thrashed the drive?
alex

Post by alex »

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;885464

symptoms are the same, but maybe serial ata and sbp-2 are different things.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839490

if you look for "delayed write failure" there is a lot of references at microsoft site, in groups and the web.

looks like windows or driver bug, in the second case they are talking about exhausting available kernel memory.

i have serial ata drive here (didn't intend to buy it only saw it has different connector when brought it home), no problems at all.

so if the hardware is ok, you need to find out what low-level code in the system causes that.

is it maxtor? on google groups several people were mentioning maxtor drives (i have here samsung).
volswagn

Post by volswagn »

alex wrote:http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;885464
symptoms are the same, but maybe serial ata and sbp-2 are different things.
Yes. SBP-2 are usually removeable resources. The serial ATA is internal to the case, and very much permanent. :)
alex wrote:looks like windows or driver bug, in the second case they are talking about exhausting available kernel memory.
I have the latest service packs. Maybe I should try updating my other drivers (including my vieo driver) to make sure there aren't memory issues with them.
alex wrote:is it maxtor? on google groups several people were mentioning maxtor drives (i have here samsung).
Yes, both drives were Maxtors. I'll have to investigate this further. Thanks for teh heads up.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

To add my opinion:

I've used Maxtor drives exclusively for several years now and never had a single problem. (Other than the fact I seriously need to update two drives because they're still 5400rpm... :( )

My fastest drive (SATA) I run games from and download headers/bodies to and have done for a few years now with no problems. If anything will kill a drive - it's constant reads and writes like these.

volswagn, when you installed Windows on your new machine (you don't specify which version) did you make sure to install the SATA drivers that came with your motherboard? If you're using 2000/XP, for example, during a fresh install you'll be asked 'Press F6 if you want to install third party/SCSI drivers'. At that point you need to point it to your floppy with the drivers. As ever, you should check your motherboard manufacturer for an updated SATA driver. Remember, SATA isn't very old and this makes the drivers not as mature as they could be, depending on which manufacturer supplies the technology.
alex

Post by alex »

in fact i have seagate, not samsung, all drives seagate, i don't know anything about samsung hard drives.

if to look on google:

Delayed Write Failure maxtor - 332 matches

Delayed Write Failure seagate - 200 matches

Delayed Write Failure western digital - 476 matches

i used western digital in the past but they all die slow death.
OliMuc

Post by OliMuc »

Yes, both drives were Maxtors. I'll have to investigate this further. Thanks for teh heads up.
I did have a similar problem with two maxtors...

My solution was, to connect both to different controllers an both to master (primary and secondarry).

You could try to change cable from CD/Burner and the second Maxtor.

Good Luck, Oli
volswagn

Post by volswagn »

Josef K wrote:To add my opinion:
My fastest drive (SATA) I run games from and download headers/bodies to and have done for a few years now with no problems. If anything will kill a drive - it's constant reads and writes like these.
That's why I asked if anyone else was having this problem...
volswagn, when you installed Windows on your new machine (you don't specify which version) did you make sure to install the SATA drivers that came with your motherboard?
Yep. I always use the manufacturer's drivers, unless there is a problem, then I might use the MS ones or the ones from whomever provided the chipset (reference drivers)...

Something else interesting which leads me to believe this may be more of a connection issue than an actual hard drive issue... Due to the layout of the Antec case I'm using, the SATA cable touches the computer case. I initially took the side of the case off to make sure all my connections were solid, and left the side of the case off for a bit and everything seemed fine. No delayed write failures. This worked for a couple days. Then, as soon as I put the side of the case back on, trouble again. Took it off, no trouble.

Hmmmm.... I guess this has nothing to do with NewsPro. :) I still wonder what's causing this... The SATA cables are covered with pretty thick insulation. I wonder if there are special thicker cables out there somewhere?
Eric

Post by Eric »

It is also possible that it may be related to heat and or airflow around the drive itself.

On a couple of ocasions I've had problems like that where the drive was simply overheating and adding a fan blowing air over the drive solved the problems.

Just a though when you said it worked with no side on the case, which can do the same thing.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

volswagn wrote:Due to the layout of the Antec case I'm using, the SATA cable touches the computer case... ...Then, as soon as I put the side of the case back on, trouble again. Took it off, no trouble.
Hmm... interesting theory there. The inside of my case (full tower, four hard drives (2 IDE ribbon cables and 2 SATA cabled), CD-RW, DVD-RW and floppy) looks like a plate of cable spaghetti and I don't have any problems with loose connections, interference or the like.

Try using cable ties (or even elastic bands) to clip the spare lengths of cable to your chassis, also position them to better increase airflow. What are your temperatures like? Leaving the side of the case off is sometimes worse for airflow than leaving it on - depending on how well the manufacturer has designed the case. The airflow should flow freely from front to back and, in some designs, the top of the case.

It's possible it could be heat affecting the drive(s). Try the finger test: run your computer for an hour or two while running NP and then switch it off. Earth yourself and simply put your finger on top of your hard drive. If it feels incredibly hot then that should tell you something. :P

Are your drives well spaced out? Install hard drive fans if you need to - they're cheap enough and will certainly save you money in the long run compared to the cost of hard drives themselves.

EDIT: With my long-winded reply, Eric beat me to it. :evil:
volswagn

Post by volswagn »

Try using cable ties (or even elastic bands) to clip the spare lengths of cable to your chassis, also position them to better increase airflow. What are your temperatures like? Leaving the side of the case off is sometimes worse for airflow than leaving it on - depending on how well the manufacturer has designed the case. The airflow should flow freely from front to back and, in some designs, the top of the case.
Temperatures are fine. Case has an LED temp monitor. Airflow is optimized to run in from front & out back. Part of the reason I went SATA is because I was sick of those flat IDE cables blocking airflow. And I had bad luck with the "cut round" IDE cables. I know leaving the side of the case off impedes proper airflow, but the drive has been working fine so I didn't want to put it back on. Maybe I'll try tying the cable to something so that it doesn't touch the side of the case?
It's possible it could be heat affecting the drive(s). Try the finger test: run your computer for an hour or two while running NP and then switch it off. Earth yourself and simply put your finger on top of your hard drive. If it feels incredibly hot then that should tell you something. :P
I did this earlier, as one of my first suspicions was heat. Drive seemed warm, definitely not hot.
Are your drives well spaced out? Install hard drive fans if you need to - they're cheap enough and will certainly save you money in the long run compared to the cost of hard drives themselves.
Case already has four fans, two in front sucking air in, two in back pulling out (plus the power supply fan, which is an enermax that has two fans itself, pulling air up from CPU and out back of case). The case has room for like 8 3.5" drives, and I'm only using two slots, with space for two drives between them.