Lost partials

laserman

Lost partials

Post by laserman »

Hi folks
I often have difficulty with a binary with one or more parts missing.
I have checked with another newsreader on the same server and the missing parts are there. But newspro shows the parts missing. A header rescan fixes this, but takes a long time with many large newsgroups. Getting new headers does not fix it. Have I set the options wrong here or is that just the way it is?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Laserman
alex

Post by alex »

it depends on when you get headers and on what server, so if in the other newsreader you downloaded the headers later or it went to anohter physical server (e.g. server is resolved to several ip addresses or there is a switch which may connect to several physical servers).

what i experienced some time ago with only certain server i was downloading headers while they were posted and few parts were missing, after rescan all was ok. it means the server adds articles out of order, e.g. it adds article numbers 1000, 1002, 1004, so it is what you get, later it may insert also 1001 and 1003 so if you invoke get headers after that you'll get 1000, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, ... . i wanted to log it and inform the server admin (need to repeat the large post then, i tried to monitor newsgroup update and couldn't catch it), when i have time i'll do it since maybe on the server side it should be treated as a bug.

with nntp-switches i don't know exactly what is the situation there right now, i'll try to ask someone who knows whether it might be the case.

also there will be a faster rescan procedure in the future, if a server adds articles out of order some kind of rescan is the only solution (or change the provider, but first make sure the other provider doesn't use the same kind of nntp server software)
laserman

Post by laserman »

Thanks Alex
I think your newsreader is superb, having had a registered version for years. In particular the interface is the best of any I have seen. I will wait and see what happens, meanwhile will rescan when required.
Laserman