"Extract" function for (quick) filter

wasabikun

"Extract" function for (quick) filter

Post by wasabikun »

Hi there,

I've really appreciated UE, it's orders of magnitude faster for many of the basic functions we use (like sorting and searching into header lists).

One of the functions I miss is to "extract", i.e. display only headers matching a certain (quick) filter criterion.

Is this feature already available on UE? All I have found so far is that entering a criteria in the quick filter bar will mark matching headers but won't restrict view to marked items only.

Thanks for your time
wasabikun
dengle

Re: "Extract" function for (quick) filter

Post by dengle »

wasabikun wrote: One of the functions I miss is to "extract", i.e. display only headers matching a certain (quick) filter criterion.

Is this feature already available on UE? All I have found so far is that entering a criteria in the quick filter bar will mark matching headers but won't restrict view to marked items only.
If I understand your explanation, your stating that by applying a filter, it marks the items for download instead of extracting?

That should not be the case. type in a search string in the "Subject:" box and click the Apply button. It will extract all headers that match. turn off all checkboxes. Perhaps there's a checkbox there that I'm not familiar with which notifies the filtering mechanism to mark search results vs extract.

The filtering can also utilize the WILDMAT format (search these forums for WILDMAT for examples)
wasabikun

Post by wasabikun »

Hi,

well, I've just found it - it's there, not as intuitive as I would have thought, though. :wink:

The "extract" feature I was talking about is applied when typing a (sub)string in the subject box and then clicking on the "Apply" button, which though turns into a "Find" when the "apply filter" checkbox is on. I hadn't checked than one...

Thanks for your time
wasa
alex

Post by alex »

you can also press <enter> it is the same as the apply button, <esc> is same as the clear button, also look at file menu->quick filter for other shortcuts.

the check box switches between the find and apply mode, so no need in another bar which would take additional space and making find function the same powerful as apply. default ctrl+f to switch between the modes.
plasmannc

Still confused

Post by plasmannc »

Like others I just the other day Dl'd Usenet Explorer. I have been a long time user of Newspro and really like some of the things I am seeing in UE.

I am however somewhat confused about how to use the filter bar.

I know I can enter a string in the subject box, hit enter and it will find all instances of that string. I do not know however how to extract only those instances. I also noted reference above to the "apply button" but the only place I see "apply" is in the File/Quick filter menu.

Something I have always done in Newspro is apply certain filters to open a newsgroup and only display selected items such as files over 1000 lines plus .nfo and .sfv items. I also sometimes only open and want to see headers that are no more than a few days old.

I hope someone can offer some comments on using the filter bar to achieve these results.

Hoping the above makes sense.

Thanks