Partial Header Updates with ability to continue later

XEQtor

Partial Header Updates with ability to continue later

Post by XEQtor »

Hi guys,

Long time Newspro user, newbie in this forum. I've searched the forum but cant find anything related to my query, so here goes...

I need to partially d/l headers in batches so that I can easily find my stuffs. Also faster opening/sorting of articles on my olde rusted P-III. After I'm done with them, perhaps after several days, I'd like to continue d/ling more headers and then stop again, work on them again, etc, etc.

Let's say I'd want Newspro to only d/l 500,000 headers from a newsgroup and then stop. When I want more, I'd go 'Get New Headers' again. I'm currently doing this manually, keep watching my header counts and then do a 'Cancel Getting New Headers' when my 'quota' is reached.

Is there a better way to do this? Can I set Newspro to do this automagically for me? Anything to set in Properties->Newsgroup/Folder panel?

Thanx for any help.

XEQ.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I would right away suggest you try the trial version of Usenet Explorer. It's been written from the ground up to bypass the limitations of NP in terms of speed and memory usage, even on older systems. I'm not suggesting you abandon NP and switch but you just may find that UE is so much better suited to what you need. You will likely be able to download all headers from all your groups in full and not see a major impact on performance.

If you try it, when you subscribe make all your binary groups 'compact binary' - there are guides available here to get you going. If it's not what you need or want then maybe someone more used to using NP can give you some hints as I'm more of a UE man myself.