Mark on one PC download on another?

LarryM

Mark on one PC download on another?

Post by LarryM »

I have a PC at home with a very good high speed internet connection. I'm remote using a laptop with not fast internet, faster than dial up, but not much.

I can connect via a remote login program and run UE at home this way, but running this way is awkward due to the slow speed. Different screen sizes make the text on the UE screen difficult to read too.

Is there any way I could copy a few UE database files from the PC at home to the laptop, run UE on the laptop and mark the downloads, then copy the files back and let the download happen back at home?

Larry
jonib

Re: Mark on one PC download on another?

Post by jonib »

LarryM wrote:Is there any way I could copy a few UE database files from the PC at home to the laptop, run UE on the laptop and mark the downloads, then copy the files back and let the download happen back at home?
Depending on how big your UE DB is, shouldn't be a problem to copy it.

You could use the export headers command to save headers for the stuff you want to download and send them to your other computer to actually download the files.

jonib
Get Usenet Explorer Automatic Updater here. You want to flatter me? Image
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

"Big" is relative. The top level folder reports 30 gig. My connection is realllllly slow - 700kbs. :|

I was hoping for a couple files, maybe a couple 100k.

Am I out-of-luck?
jonib

Post by jonib »

LarryM wrote:"Big" is relative. The top level folder reports 30 gig. My connection is realllllly slow - 700kbs. :|
30 gigs sounds a bit big for the DB, look which directory takes most space in the UE dir, maybe you have some unsaved binaries still taking space. Mine is 3gigs probably still too big to transfer back end forth.

If you use the UE search you could probably make a very small DB, or you can adjust retention settings so UE don't keep too many headers in the DB.
Am I out-of-luck?
Well did you look at the Export headers(Right click->Advanced menu on post you want to download) command?

jonib
Get Usenet Explorer Automatic Updater here. You want to flatter me? Image