430 no such article (Server)

LarryM

430 no such article (Server)

Post by LarryM »

Okay, so I marked some articles to download. Started seeing the error message. Okay, the articles are a bit old, stopped the download and re-scanned the headers. This is a big news group, I have a slow internet connection, so this took a while.

When it did complete, I started the download again - same errors.

Now I'm confused, the rescan should have made the group just exactly what's on the server, but then seconds later, the server reports no such article.

Am I misunderstanding something? How do I correct the newsgroup to contain only articles that are actually on the server?

thanks, Larry
alex

Re: 430 no such article (Server)

Post by alex »

It means most probably the post was deleted by the usenet provider after takedown notice, it is done automatically.

E.g. astraweb return the same error code, but it also provides explicit error message.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

? But if the article was removed, shouldn't the headers be removed on the rescan?

After a rescan, I thought UE would exactly reflect what is on the server, removing headers that weren't on the server, adding any that were missing.

In a few newsgroups I have deletion set to "natural", assuming an occasional rescan will make it exactly reflect the server. Am I not understanding something?

Larry
alex

Post by alex »

>But if the article was removed, shouldn't the headers be removed on the rescan?

Not necessarily, servers may just delete or flag as non-downloadable article bodies, you can try to completely reset newsgroup to see if there is a problem with rescan settings (edit menu->properties->general->rescan).

There is no how many last headers to rescan per newsgroup setting, maybe to set it to 2-3 days of header traffic in the largest newsgroup, it looks like the takedown process is mostly automatic.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

If it were a "take down" message, wouldn't the whole article go away?

What I'm seeing is that UE reports a whole (not a partial) post, shows no missing pieces, but when I set the download, some of the parts are missing. Usually more than the PARs will fix. I only notice this behavior on old posts.

I use custom collections a LOT, so I wouldn't want to reset the news group and start over. How can I get UE to match up exactly to what is on the server?
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I'm having this problem again.

I would like to download a book that header dates are from 2011 -old, but UE shows it as complete. However, on every piece, I get 5-6 errors that show as "430 no such article" errors.

I did a header rescan. UE still shows the article as complete, and I still get the "430 no such article" I did a Advanced->Reset Header Ranges - the article still shows as complete, and of course, I still get the error.

Here's what header properties says right now:
Group: alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks.scifi-fantasy
News.Giganews.com:
Program: Range: 163748-5066585 Catch up [not set]
Server: Range: 163748-5066585 Num.articles 4902838

What can I do to get UE to match what Giganews has? I just wouldn't waste my time attempting to download this book if I knew it was this old and that it was incomplete.

thanks - Larry
alex

Post by alex »

If you download headers from giganews and they are complete, giganews should have all article bodies as well.

You may try to contact giganews, they should be able to find out why the backend you access doesn't have those articles and then to fix that.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I think I'm unintentionally dense on this.

I have several groups that I have set as "Natural" retention, I keep getting new headers never specifically deleting the old.

Giganews has good retention, but not forever, so at some point I'd like to periodically do some action that would get UE to reflect only what Giganews really has. I also have lots of collections that I'd like to not get lost when I do this action.

Can some one (alex?) please tell me, step-by-step, what I need to do to get these newsgroups to correctly reflect what Giganews actually has?

thanks, Larry
alex

Post by alex »

In principle they shouldn't delete anything and the retention is still growing (or is it?).

The current retention when deleting old articles stopped is more than 3000 days. 8 years ago the volume was much smaller, it doesn't make much sense to cut it off gradually, if they will run out of storage, it will be rather steep decline in retention initially, the volume is now maybe 60 times more.

Did you try to contact giganews, what they replied?

If no redundancy they may lose hard drives with data from time to time causing no such article error. To complement maybe to use another provider like astraweb (but astraweb is not complete as well).
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Before I contact the Giganews people, I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. Nothing more embarrassing than complaining about something then having it be your own fault.

So if I rescan (without restart), that should ensure that any headers I have Giganews really has, right? Is there any setting I may have that would would alter that?

What I'm not understanding is why Giganews would report the header if they don't have the body. My *assumption* is they report headers based on the articles they have. Are you saying that having a header is someway separate from having the article itself?

...but concentrate on what I may have set wrong or misunderstand, that seems much more likely.

thanks, Larry
alex

Post by alex »

To see the current headers - you can reset the newsgroup and download all headers again.

Rescan only fills in missing headers, as far as I remember it won't remove existing headers.

Alternatively you can create another copy of the newsgroup and download headers to see if there is anything different there which is unlikely.

I checked the giganews website, for binary groups they have now 2367 days retention, so it was trimmed and is not growing anymore, their live chat told me, that around a year ago the retention was capped to 6 years, so 2011 should be still fine, but it will start disappearing the next year.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

But if I reset, then I lose all the custom collections I have, right? I really like customs and use them _a lot_.

If rescan just adds missing, it doesn't delete, then that explains my what I'm seeing. The problem doesn't seem to be universal, or at a particular cutoff date. Sometimes parts are missing from something a year old, but complete for something two years old. (example, not specific dates) Parts are often missing in the same article - UE shows it complete and maybe I can get the NFO, but part 1 is missing.

I'm mostly looking at the audiobook news groups

Can I request a new header service in UE, something like "resync" that would delete headers if the news service doesn't have the article? Maybe it could start by marking every header for deletion, then as the headers are confirmed by the server, deletion is unmarked. When the get is complete, flush those headers marked for completion. ???

thanks, Larry
alex

Post by alex »

For the binary compact format and message-id direct formats UE keeps headers without server affiliation. So it is pretty inefficient to track every header in temporary data structures.

If the newsgroup is small and you can use other than binary compact or message-id direct, you can add another copy of the server and after downloading headers detach the original server from the newsgroup.

Another way is to create a copy of the newsgroup (any format), download headers there and mark them all flagged (just be sure to do it with threads disabled). Then open the original newsgroup, disable threads, collections and sets, filter unflagged and purge them. Then delete the copy of the newsgroup. It won't be 100% solution, since when only some parts are missing the header will stay there.

The real question is why giganews is losing headers randomly.