Usenet Explorer Locks Up Windows Explorer

mharleman

Usenet Explorer Locks Up Windows Explorer

Post by mharleman »

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I removed my anti-virus program and started using standard Windows Defender just in case that was the problem. Didn't fix it. I added exclusions for the download directory, the directory the UE.exe file is in, and also the directory all of the database and other such files is in. Still didn't fix it. I changed it and gave it permission to run as administrator, and it seemed to start working normally, but I don't know if I will run into the same problem again or not.

This is my Task setup:

I hope I've given you enough information. I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bit. All the latest updates are installed. My question is, will running as admin fix the problem, or do I need to do something else? I don't want to have to hard boot my system again, and I had to do it 4 times.
alex

Re: Usenet Explorer Locks Up Windows Explorer

Post by alex »

There a number of topics I found on the Internet.

What may make sense, if you have a restore point try to run system restore, also try to check disk for errors.

UE by itself doesn't interfere with the system much, there is no code which may lock the system, it is just reading and writing files, the interface implemented in the UE code side is very generic and would work backwards to Win95.

As to the permissions I'm not sure it may cause delay, UE runs multiple threads, maybe the windows explorer may freeze when the application accessing files not from the main thread, unlikely.

Try to check also if the problem is always gone if you run it as administrator and it always happen when it is not run as administrator. If it is the case, and it worked before, then the question what changes in the system were made when it started.