Download speed slows to crawl when away from PC

dcthom

Download speed slows to crawl when away from PC

Post by dcthom »

Alex and/or other UE users,
I did a quick search on this and came up empty. Apologies in advance if this is duplicate question.

Using Win7 (a VMware [ESXI 5.5] guest, in case it matters), when I have a long-running download, sometimes I'll lock the desktop (win+L) leave it running. Every time that I can recall, when I return, the UE download speed has lowered to a crawl - not completely stopped, not paused, just dropped from ~2Meg to a crazy low number like <1k. The time to complete will have likewise changed from ~single-digit hours to ~FIVE or SIX-digit hours. As soon as there's activity on the desktop (moving mouse, etc), the download speed climbs back up to normal speeds.

Figuring it's a Win7 issue, I went to power settings and ensured all of the hibernate/standby/power settings are "Never", but that didn't change this. I'm not aware of anything on VMware or UE that'd cause this, but am not ruling it out yet. Anyone have ideas?

ps I see some configs in Properties > Tasks > about bandwidth, timeouts, and such (are all at default) but none of them jump out as being relevant to this.

Thanks,
dcthom
alex

Re: Download speed slows to crawl when away from PC

Post by alex »

It is something not UE related.

If you can estimate when it slowed down, if it is the same time after lock up, you could look for some setting around that time.

If we know what it is, and there is a function to tell the system not to engage this behaviour, I could call it in the program.
dcthom

Re: Download speed slows to crawl when away from PC

Post by dcthom »

Alex, thanks for the reply!

Any recommendations on any tool that could track / log this type event / situation? Sysinternals has good tools like ProcExplorer however (to the best of my knowledge) you have to be in front of it watching, real-time.

Regards,
dcthom