Usenet Explorer

Forums
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 4:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Open&get new headers within restricted date range
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:38 pm 

When I add a new newsgroup, I'd like to be able to limit the initial "Open&get new headers" to a very precise date/time range, say for example between 1 Mar 2015 16:00 and 1 Mar 2015 17:00.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

The best I've been able to do so far is set the Retention/Dates for the newsgroup to -919d (under newsgroup properties; the 1 Mar 2015 was 919 days ago from today), perform the initial get (wait ages and possibly exceeds headers limit for a large newsgroup!) and then delete all headers outside the 16:00 to 17:00 range for the day I want. All very cumbersome.

Hope this makes sense. Maybe a feature request.

Any help gratefully received, thanks

Post subject: Re: Open&get new headers within restricted date range
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 am 

You could try

01mar15-02mar15

Or it can be set in the terms of hours or days ago.

I remember it cannot be both. Why it may be needed to download headers with an hour precision? Hours sometimes not even consistent on different servers.

Post subject: Re: Open&get new headers within restricted date range
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm 

Thanks Alex for suggesting 01mar15-02mar15. I didn't know that I could specify a range; though clearly I should have done, if I'd studied the help file more carefully.

My reason for wanting to download headers within a specific time frame is simply because I know when something was posted to within a few minutes. And to save time (and network bandwidth) I just want to limt header loads to that time slot. I can't use search as the posts have scrambled/random subjects and authors. I was't aware of a possible time lag between servers; I'll have to take this into account.