Sort by Thread in UE

m0davis

Sort by Thread in UE

Post by m0davis »

Andy,

There's one feature I'm especially missing in UE which are already in NewsPro:

* Ability to sort by Thread, so that the Import folder can show the order in which NZB messages were imported.

Thanks,
-Martin
alex

Post by alex »

in ue it is organized differently it doesn't keep the order of arrival.

also in newspro it won't be necessarily the right order of arrival since when the number reaches maximum it starts from the beginning.
m0davis

Post by m0davis »

Here's the reason I depend on the sort by order of arrival (which mostly worked in NewsPro):

In the Imports folder, I always go through the latest entries to cancel downloading some (not all) of the pars. If the imports folder gets filled up with a bunch of stuff, it can get confusing to figure out which are the ones I just added.

I realize I can change the settings so that a new import sets all existing messages to be marked "old", and then filter on new messages, and then cancel downloading on some of the pars, and then (finally) remove the filter, BUT that's a bunch of extra steps to go through and it doesn't work if I open two .nzb files in a row without cancelling the pars in between opening the first .nzb and opening the second.

If you can't add something that indicates the order of arrival, perhaps you could optionally split the Imports directory into multiple subdirectories: one for each .nzb file imported. You could have the main Import directory show all of the imports, while having each of the subfolders show just the entries for each particular import.

Does that sound doable?
alex

Post by alex »

you can create multiple import directories, there is some functionality in the search service dialog to do it faster (but you also can achieve almost the same with user-defined shortcuts) which you can use even without using the search. also custom import groups can be deleted, but maybe i'll add also some action when invoking 'delete' on import group (the group name will stay but the records will be gone like you've deleted the group).
m0davis

Post by m0davis »

alex wrote:you can create multiple import directories, there is some functionality in the search service dialog to do it faster (but you also can achieve almost the same with user-defined shortcuts) which you can use even without using the search. also custom import groups can be deleted, but maybe i'll add also some action when invoking 'delete' on import group (the group name will stay but the records will be gone like you've deleted the group).
I didn't really understand your answer, so maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm not using the search in UE, rather I'm using an .NZB file from a 3rd party indexing service. What I want is something that will allow the same kind of sorting as was available in NewsPro. (The reason I want that has to do with the way I go about de-selecting par files, to minimize download times.)

Is that going to be permanently impossible in UE? Or will you someday add such functionality back in? It seems to me that since that functionality exists in NewsPro, the simplest thing you could do would be to allow the user to configure certain folders using the old NewsPro technology. That way, we can get the best of both worlds.
alex

Post by alex »

you can create several import "groups", just when you create a new group check 'import'. you don't have to put all nzb files in the standard "Import" group.

ue doesn't keep the order, since it would require additional storage. if instead of day to put the time of import you could sort by order, but nzb files have posting date in them.

but when you sort e.g. by subject you should see nzb files separate, although not in the import order.
m0davis

Post by m0davis »

alex wrote:you can create several import "groups", just when you create a new group check 'import'. you don't have to put all nzb files in the standard "Import" group.

ue doesn't keep the order, since it would require additional storage. if instead of day to put the time of import you could sort by order, but nzb files have posting date in them.

but when you sort e.g. by subject you should see nzb files separate, although not in the import order.
Okay, now I'm starting to understand what you said. I created a new import-type folder as you suggested, and then when I opened the .NZB file, it got imported into that folder. Here are two things that need improvement:

1. There should be an option that forces a new import folder to be created every time an .NZB file is opened. The name of the folder could be based on the name of the NZB file and the date/time that it's opened. This is definitely doable, since I can do that "by hand" right now.

2. If possible, it would be good if headers could be deleted from one import-type folder without being deleted from another import-type folder.

What do you think about doing each of those?