time-based bandwidth throttling

alex

Post by alex »

if it will be relevant it will be the easy part, it is simple code not connected to cmplicated things like managing newsgroup views or incoming header processing into the database.

i'm not sure about limiting the download data amount, but in principle we could tie speed / data volume to every time interval like 10-17 (2000MB 10Kb/s), also add combo box to limit the view to 1 week without specific dates / 1 day / 1 year with dates.

yes i see following your link they "punish" the user, so if not to follow their "rules" you are downloading less total during the day, but it is not clear whether the scheme will be common, e.g. there might be more simple scheme like after you download x MB - your speed will be limited until the rest of the day to y mbps, then in your interest to download at max speed as fast as possible and then you go at the reduced speed to maximize the total, here what they have is like crime and punishment approach.

also if you download something in the same time, e.g. some dvd .iso from the web - UE won't know that and the limit may be still exceeded, such things probably better to address on the winsock level where applications like dumeter or proxycap work, e.g. download x MB during the time interval then limit the speed to minimum to the rest of the time interval whatever application is downloading.

from other side the trend may be well lifting the restrictions as in many instances it was the case in the past.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

alex wrote:also if you download something in the same time, e.g. some dvd .iso from the web - UE won't know that and the limit may be still exceeded...
It might not be the same for everyone but when I was subjected to throttling, I always wanted to be able to download as much as I could within the limited periods during the day when I did nothing much else otherwise except for a bit of email and web or if I was out of the house. Obviously if you know that you had a 10% or so buffer to play with then you would have to be careful. If you then went to download something that would push over the limit then that would be your own decision. As ever, it would be nice to have the option...

Other than that my ISP might only offer the unlimited non-throttled option only on its highest speed package. So then I would have to always have the latest and greatest. The problem there would be that I'd always have to use a computer capable of sustaining those speeds - hard drives being the constant barrier to keeping the flow of downloads coming in.
acrophile

Post by acrophile »

two more things that would make the scheduler more useful:

--have an option to turn it off for a limited time (like the pause button)
--have an option to enable the scheduler on startup of the application (like the "disable on start" feature)

:)