Target machine refused the connection (dns caching again?)

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
jdr1700

Target machine refused the connection (dns caching again?)

Post by jdr1700 »

v1.9.9 in use here. Search was working yesterday evening, today it isn't - getting a message saying the target machine refused the connection.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

It's working here for me (I checked earlier but bassie had already said it worked for him also so I didn't reply).

I did notice my firewall pop up for a confirmation (on ports 2020 and 2022) so check yours in case it's being blocked.
alex

Post by alex »

the server was up continuously, i restarted it last time after full backup 300 hours ago.

try to ensure it is not firewall.

i've checked now the last server ip address change - most likely your firewall has dns caching enabled, try to disable it for UE or at least for *.dyndns.org wildcard addresses. or just reset the dns cache but the server ip is not guarantied to be static and so it may change sometimes.

i see here the dynamic address was updated some time yesterday, i'm not sure it is because of ip change or it is monthly refresh, if the former and you have dns caching somewhere it is the reason then.

the same issue had been mentioned already in the search service section, i'll move the thread there - where it belongs - later as well.