Sorting search results

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
ehmbe

Sorting search results

Post by ehmbe »

Is there a way to make UE show search results in ascending order?
Say for example a movie is split in 50 parts, these 50 parts are shown randomly mixed, what I'd like to see is the parts of the file to be shown in an ascending order from part 1 to 50.
Is it possible?
alex

Re: Sorting search results

Post by alex »

How do you sort them, you click a column to sort by that column, click it another time and it switches from ascending to descending order etc.

Collection (yellow icon) files are sorted in the same way as the view sort order.

If you sort by subject or author collection files are likely to be in order.

If by age they are likely to be in the opposite order, since usually the first file is posted first.

By size they may be random.

To estimate completeness - if the icon is solid yellow means (especially if there are file numbers like [XX/XX] otherwise a good chance) the collection is complete, if half grey half yellow means something is missing.

I recall an option "Always sort collection files by subject", but it looks like I was just considering it at some point since it is not in the existing options.

If collections are not enabled for the search service view it just sorts everything according to the clicked column.

E.g. when sorted by age you can select a collection or file, so the program will keep it in the view, then press the subject or author column, then files will be in order and you don't need to scroll the view to find them.
ehmbe

Re: Sorting search results

Post by ehmbe »

Alex, thank you for your answer. This is exactly what I was looking for. I clicked the the Subject column and it was all sorted the way I wanted it to be.