My 2 cents on Zone Alarm... :-)

Tipperton

My 2 cents on Zone Alarm... :-)

Post by Tipperton »

I saw this post in another topic:

http://www.netwu.com/newspro/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=149
alex wrote:zonealarm is the most problematic firewall, i had to add code the last autumn to catch crashes it could produce (they were coming from inside winsock when zonealarm - its version at the time - was installed), it has a history of problems, although eventually they were fixing them, new problems appeared from time to time.
And just had to throw in my 2 cents on Zone Alarm...

I have tried Zone Alarm several times and to me it appears to create more problems than it solves. I eventually gave up on it and just use the Windows XP built-in firewall...
:cool: [b]Tipperton Thistledown[/b]
[i]Seek the aid of those not men to quench the fires of war,
Else Evil triumphant will ascend and rule fore ever more.[/i]
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

I can't say that I had troubles when using Zone Alarm. I eventually switched out because it had such a long load time at system startup, but otherwise it seemed fine.

Now I am running Sygate Personal Firewall and it is fast and seems to work great without troubles.
[img]http://graphics.thalunatik.com/sig6.png[/img]
Tipperton

Post by Tipperton »

Hmm... I may take a look at that...

Although the MS firewall appears to work and doesn't cause me any problems that I'm aware of...

I have my doubts about how good it is...
:cool: [b]Tipperton Thistledown[/b]
[i]Seek the aid of those not men to quench the fires of war,
Else Evil triumphant will ascend and rule fore ever more.[/i]
jsdkr

Post by jsdkr »

Tha*Lunat!k wrote: Now I am running Sygate Personal Firewall and it is fast and seems to work great without troubles.

I can second the motion on sygate personal firewall have four months under my belt an it works fine .

===================== :mrgreen: ==================
; )
alex

Post by alex »

Just got another report about Zone Alarm messing with incoming download streams and causing corrupted downloads on a fast connection, when there is less load it works but many tasks - it starts failing. Apparently they have some bug with synchronization.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Hey what do you call many tasks? 6, 10, 25, 50?
alex

Post by alex »

I don't know since I don't have Zone Alarm and the number wasn't specified in the email, what was described - problems when downloading everything and all well when downloading one by one. There is another thread on the zone alarm subject mentioned above:

http://www.netwu.com/newspro/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=149

as to bug reports related to zone alarm - they varied with time, as time goes bugs may get fixed.
flyace

Re: My 2 cents on Zone Alarm... :-)

Post by flyace »

Tipperton wrote: I have tried Zone Alarm several times and to me it appears to create more problems than it solves. I eventually gave up on it and just use the Windows XP built-in firewall...
Try out Kerio ,its free and verry good.

Post by Guest »

I had nothing but trouble with Kerio - thread creation errors kep popping up all the time. I use Agnitum Outpost Free now. No troubles.