Usenet Explorer Automatic Updater

Josef K

Re: Usenet Explorer Automatic Updater

Post by Josef K »

jonib wrote:The Updater still notified about a new version, but it just couldn't download. That's how I discovered the problem.
Now did you get a notification that the updater needed to be updated? and then was it able to update UE?
I downloaded the new Updater and then it updated UE. I just haven't been using UE recently all that much to have seen any messages. Too many things to attend to offline for the moment...
jonib wrote:Well, I guess I'll just have to take the 64bit bull by the horns then. :twisted:
I have tried to move my main system to Win7 Ultimate 64bit, but haven't got all stuff moved over yet. My mail software is the big problem, I have used the same mail software PC Yarn since 1994 (damn 16 years :shock: ) and it haven't been updated since 1996 :( , and it's mixed 16bit DOS and 32bit Windows code :roll: so wont work in Windows 7 64bit :x .
From what are you moving? What do you run PC Yarn in at the moment? I would suggest Win7 XP Mode but there are conflicting reports on 16bit software compatibility. It's worth a try. Failing that, try a copy of Win9x in a virtual machine. At least a VM would again make it easy to upgrade to the next version of Windows as you'd just transfer the files over and boot them up. Not to mention that route would be an easy backup job. However, booting a VM just to check your emails...
jonib wrote:Offtopic: What the hell :evil: is x64 it should be x86-64 or 64bit or 64b the first person that used that should be shot. This isn't directed at you Josef K, it's just that everyone uses x86 and x64 to differentiate 32bit and 64bit but x86 is a CPU architecture and x64 is the bitnes.
While I agree, I just gave up fighting. Plus it's quicker to type. I spent so much time writing sentences to describe things that made me seem like a pedant so I decided to just go with the flow and do what everyone else is doing and everyone understands that terminology now, anyway. One thing I refuse to say is the F word. They are DIRECTORIES, damn it!

Ooh! Will you have a brain aneurysm when people start mentioning x128? :P
jonib

Post by jonib »

Josef K wrote:I downloaded the new Updater and then it updated UE.
OK.
From what are you moving? What do you run PC Yarn in at the moment? I would suggest Win7 XP Mode but there are conflicting reports on 16bit software compatibility. It's worth a try. Failing that, try a copy of Win9x in a virtual machine. At least a VM would again make it easy to upgrade to the next version of Windows as you'd just transfer the files over and boot them up. Not to mention that route would be an easy backup job. However, booting a VM just to check your emails...
Damn, I knew I forgot something. My main system is WinXPsp2 32bit installed 2005, it's running on a wheelchair, and I'm expecting it to loose a tire any time now. :wink:
I thought about using the XPMode, I might use it at least temporarily, but I need something a bit more modern, unfortunately I would prefer to use textmode mail software like PC Yarn (I live mostly in a textmode file manager FAR manager), but there aren't that many that I have found and those I have tested I did not like. :(
Sometimes I wish I started using computers when the Windows way is the only way, then I wouldn't know and want to use this pesky command-line stuff. :mrgreen:
While I agree, I just gave up fighting. Plus it's quicker to type. I spent so much time writing sentences to describe things that made me seem like a pedant so I decided to just go with the flow and do what everyone else is doing and everyone understands that terminology now, anyway.
I might lose the battle too, I just needed to vent, sorry you had to witness it(I tried to minimize the impact :) )
One thing I refuse to say is the F word. They are DIRECTORIES, damn it!
ah the F word, unfortunately I have mostly lost that battle, in private they are still called DIRECTORIES.
Ooh! Will you have a brain aneurysm when people start mentioning x128? :P
Hey thanks now I can start prepering for that day and I might even survive. 8)

jonib
alex

Post by alex »

As to v2.9 there are files on both netwu.com/ue and usenetexplorer.com, but from now on it will be only usenetexplorer.com, it was one of the reasons I've forced the update by changing the search service protocol - to make links in the program code uniform. With netwu there were problems sometimes, couple of times when I needed to switch configuration the site was down, and UE goes to the site to download the configuration.
jonib

Post by jonib »

alex wrote:As to v2.9 there are files on both netwu.com/ue and usenetexplorer.com, but from now on it will be only usenetexplorer.com, it was one of the reasons I've forced the update by changing the search service protocol - to make links in the program code uniform. With netwu there were problems sometimes, couple of times when I needed to switch configuration the site was down, and UE goes to the site to download the configuration.
OK.