Advantages in using a newsreader?

flycat

Advantages in using a newsreader?

Post by flycat »

Hello,

I'm just curious more than anything...what does a full featured news reader such as UE give me over searching on a site such as Newzbin, using Quickpar to repair if needed and extracting the file with Winrar?

I've been using usenet for quite some time now and used Agent way back when. This was like night and day compared to trying to use the old windows based newsreader but I've been hooked on Newzbin for a long time now.

From all I've read Usenet Explorer is the best of the bunch, but I'm still left wondering what I would gain by using UE over the way I've been doing it.

Thanks
NoNo

Post by NoNo »

Hello, well it sounds easy enough.
I would say from your angle, just less mouse clicks.
tml

Post by tml »

It seems that a lot of people only use a newsreader to download binaries using NZBs, and for that there are many choices of clients available. Same with text-only readers.

One feature I like about Usenet Explorer is that it supports compressed headers (a huge time-saver) and which it seems very few newsreaders can compare. For anyone who downloads headers, especially the large groups, UE seems to be the best newsreader at that task.

I also like software that does not need to "call home" (can't be run offline), does not need to be "installed" and does not write to the registry or anywhere else other than its own directory. UE seems to fit all these.
dengle

Post by dengle »

I like the built in search index feature of UE. You don't need to search on a web-based search engine, import the nzb and then download the files, it's all handled in-program.