nzb search via usenetjunkie

pizza15

nzb search via usenetjunkie

Post by pizza15 »

Hi i created an application for http://alt.binaries.nl that searches for nzb files in different alt.binaries groups and after having uploaded it in the newsgroups i got an e-mail from usenetjunkie if I would like to add support for their searchengine to the program

I'll do that but my Question is:

could you add support for that engine in newspro ?
they have a description of how that can be done online http://www.usenetjunkie.com/unjk.rar.
could/ would you like to add that feature to newspro... please :P , that's much faster than Xpat (and i won't need 2 programs)

thx Pizza
Piezo

Re: Feature request - nzb search via usenetjunkie

Post by Piezo »

pizza15 wrote:(and i won't need 2 programs)

thx Pizza
You can create the nzb files on the UNJ website so you don't really need 2 programs for it :)
pizza15

Post by pizza15 »

but a browser is also a program

and searching and creating nzb files through the browser is not so fast..
that still requires too much input from myself ..
Obiwantje

Post by Obiwantje »

@Pizza I would be very happy to help BETA testing for you !

A fantasic initiative !

Contact me via PM (In Dutch, English or German)
alex

Post by alex »

i got an email from them too.

i understand usenejunkie is a clone of newzbin, they borrowed the idea; i just looked at it, their format is binary (like binnews) - not human readable which is bad.

they support .nzb so should be no big deal for now.

the question whether there is a justification in creating a host of custom formats every of them connected to a particular service.

the right way to go i would consider appropriate after nzb is to create a format for global search that can be seamlessly integrated into the nntp protocol (it won't bring overhead, just to add a couple of new commands with carefully designed form of returned results).

they are free for now but it is not forever, again what i think we should give credit to newzbin since they were first and to develop nntp like interface - a standard - eventually available as a part of a standard nntp service for global search (services like newzbin could act as pseudo-servers not supplying bodies but only headers, i.e. covering only the global search aspect of the adjusted nntp protocol).
pizza15

Post by pizza15 »

ow, yes that would be much better ...

and if you are right that they might be asking money in the future... better not put the feature in newspro.

i'll keep useing the import headers :)

Post by Guest »

They must be doing something very good though.
I could not get a few (last) files with newspro and using a nzb file, but usenetjunkie got the whole thing like peanuts.
PietPuk

Post by PietPuk »

I'm that guest btw :P