Suspend downloads while unraring

Mierzoet

Suspend downloads while unraring

Post by Mierzoet »

Hi.

For some time now, I only have a single laptop to work on. No external drives attached. My internet connection, is fast 1400kbps for Usenet. My internal drive can keep up with downloading and saving. But with repairing or unrarring, the savequeue really buildsup. And from that point on, the whole proces is slow. It all comes down to this:

It would be great feature, to be able to auto suspend the download while repairing or unraring. This way the harddrive is fully available for urarring. I have tested this by hand, and suspending the download while unrarring, actually was faster than letting the system run on its own.

I don't think this is a major change. And hope that it can be incorporated into UE.

grtz,
Twan
alex

Post by alex »

just uncheck auto in the properties->save/unpack, also there is suspend unpack tasks option as well in the unpack context menu, i think the result will be the same.
Mierzoet

Post by Mierzoet »

But then it would still need my attention, and actions??!!

The main reason for my request, is not the increase in speed itself, but more the stability of my HD. It not being able to process the large amounts of data wile, unrarring, and downloading at the same time. I don't want my HD to die on me.

grtz,
Twan
alex

Post by alex »

it doesn't save and repair/unrar in the same time, so the hd is not overused.

if there is save queue and it downloads in the same time it is like normal, especially if you save to a different drive. it is the same as if you marked something for download (not save) and you marked something else already downloaded for save in the same time.

but in principle i'll think about it, maybe better to wait for more users to confirm it is needed.

probably the right thing to do would be to extrapolate and then to think about some kind of overload option like in case with header overload, need some way to measure download queue + save queue combined throughout, but all e.g. also depends on hard drive fragmentation which cannot be measured. the option would naturally belong to the "tasks" pane of properties near the header overload option.