SSL and traffic shaping - UE versus NLv4

dracula

SSL and traffic shaping - UE versus NLv4

Post by dracula »

Maybe a strange question but i gonna ask it anyway. My provider UPC uses traffic-shaping in the evening. (i heard they shaping on the ip address of the USP) Which program i use i don't get over 15-30Mbit. In daytime it is 60Mbit. But when i use Newsleecher it is gong full speed all day long. Strange thing this is only whit version 4.

Alex, is it maybe possible too fix this so UE is downloading full speed too?
alex

Post by alex »

Ok, we've checked it out, it is a bug actually, apparently this version of newsleecher uses compromised SSLv2 to connect, to check it with Darkling - we've just exhausted all the possibilities - SSLv2, SSLv3 and TLSv1. It is only accidental the traffic shaping for this particular ISP doesn't cover this case.

Here I compiled UE version which uses SSLv2 with the same effect for this ISP, but if you use it with the same result with a different ISP e.g. in US, not Netherlands - take into account that it is not safe if you use SSL because you are concerned about privacy (your ISP would be able to automatically log your activity like it would be clear text without you noticing anything by analyzing client hello and then using man in the middle vulnerability after learning it is SSLv2).

http://www.netwu.com/ue/UE_SSLv2.rar

Normal approach is to use the best method and cipher the SSL server supports, here it is like the weakest. SSLv2 also doesn't support data compression.
dracula

Post by dracula »

Thanks for your time. :wink:
dracula

Post by dracula »

Second option here in the Netherlands is there are a few Usenet providers who have free IPv6 server for testing. The internet provider does not use shaping over IPv6 (not yet). And the speed is around 50 Mbit :roll:

I tried to connect whit UE for IPv6 but couldn't connect. Does is not support yet?
alex

Post by alex »

I'm looking into adding IPv6 among other potential new features (it was scheduled, but then compressed headers and various performance optimizations took higher priority), for now you can utilize a IPv4->IPv6 tunnel to use UE over IPv6.

We are talking only about your ISP and maybe even particular service area, as to bandwidth shaping maybe they use certain shaping settings as long as they are happy, if they see network congestion they will make it stricter, even if you'll hit the worst case eventually 30mbps shaping with 60mbps regular speed is not so bad and by the time maybe they'll double the connection speed anyway :)
dracula

Post by dracula »

Alex, is it possible when you release a new version, you make a SSLv2 version too? :wink:
alex

Post by alex »

http://www.netwu.com/ue/UE251_SSLv2.rar

check it works, i remember i just replaced SSLv23 with SSLv2 in parameters.
dracula

Post by dracula »

Thanks. You are very fast. I'll can check it tonight. If it is not working i let you know. But thanks. :wink:
alex

Post by alex »

in principle i can add combo box to choose SSL version, i forgot about this and didn't make a note back then, maybe we'll check it out before the next version release, actually SSLv2 is not safe, SSLv3 and TLSv1 are the same safe, by default SSLv2 is excluded in UE since otherwise SSL zlib cannot be engaged, in short not many reasons to add this distinction.
dracula

Post by dracula »

Ok, no problem.

Edit: This version works great. :lol:
dracula

Post by dracula »

Thank you for adding the option standard in UE. Really runs great. :lol: