Dissappearing Desktop icon??

LarryM

Dissappearing Desktop icon??

Post by LarryM »

I recently installed Windows 7, 64-bit. After that dust settled, downloaded and installed 64-bit UE. The app itself is working fine. ...but I made a desktop short-cut for it. When I first created it it had the normal "UE" icon, but soon afterwards the icon changed to the default windows icon. Bringing up Properties, then Change Icon, it tells me there are no icons in ue.exe. Huh?

Okay, I searched here and a fellow named Greg invented some pretty colored icons. I downloaded that. Put it in the same dir as ue.exe, change the icon to that. Nice... but again, shortly afterwards, the desktop icon changes to the default windows one.

Just to see, I created a desktop icon for the 32-bit ue.exe - and so far it is staying the normal icon.

I'm brand new to Windows 7, and to 64-bit. Is there some trick to this?

thanks, Larry
LarryM

more

Post by LarryM »

Just to make it interesting the icon suddenly re-appeared on the desktop.

Something is odd...
Greg

Post by Greg »

Must be another Greg here ;)

Although I've never 'graduated' past WinXP, I think it's fair to say that this is strictly a Windows 7 issue rether than an application issue. In the Windows registry, there should be a 'DefaultIcon' setting somewhere that lets you override the default assigned icons. (information to look up and settings to tweak with, if it matters to you)
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Hey! I think its your icon I pulled - very nice.

Ya, I don't really know... I wouldn't think this is a UE thing, but it is the only app doing this on me. ...but then again, now the icon has magically re-appeared.

I guess I'm just puzzled at so many things... why would Win7 say there are no icons in ue.exe? Why once I do chose one, does it still not display (I even chose one from another source, set that, then came back, still no display).

It doesn't seem to bother the operation of anything, just odd...
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I run a mixture of x86 and x64 Win7 and I've never seen that happen. Which OS were you using before and did you do an upgrade? Also, where is UE installed? It may be a permissions quirk.

Actually one thought I've remembered:

Did you copy the shortcut (drag and drop?) from a Start Menu icon? If so, I've seen icons not appear before like this. Recreate the desktop shortcut directly from the UE executable. The Vista/Win7 Start Menu has proven to be awkward in some respects and this is one of them.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I had been running XP previously. The boot disk went bad, so I loaded W7 onto a brand fresh drive and started over.

I did have permissions problems - at first. My UE dirs and files were all on a seperate disk, and when W7 first started, despite having the same computer name as before, it thought the disks were from some other system. I set everything to "full control" and then even copied all the files to another drive, reformated, and copied the files back. I don't think I am having any lingering problems there.

I created the short cut with a right click on the screen-> new -> short cut.

In messing with the desktop icons I found something that I didn't know windows did! Hold down the control-key, then scroll the mouse wheel. The desktop icons get bigger and smaller. Cool.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

LarryM wrote:I did have permissions problems - at first. My UE dirs and files were all on a seperate disk, and when W7 first started, despite having the same computer name as before, it thought the disks were from some other system. I set everything to "full control" and then even copied all the files to another drive, reformated, and copied the files back. I don't think I am having any lingering problems there.
NTFS will transfer permissions if you copy from one disk to another. Windows will think the permissions are set for another computer because the original user does not exist anymore on this new computer. Account names do not matter. You can install Windows, format and reinstall again using exactly the same details but two accounts of the same name will still be different in Windows.

What you need to do in this case is to Take Ownership.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

...but the first thing I did, before doing anything else with the files was set permissions for "Everybody" to Full Control right at the disk drive level.

I'll look at the Take Ownership tho, no stone unturned and all that...
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

A quick search turns up this which states:
Windows 7 has implemented addition security mechanism to prevent accidental or intentional file or folder modification by not allowing users other then owner of file or folder to access it. Hence incase if you need to access, modify or delete such files or folder you need to take ownership first then assign rights or permission to respective users.
It's awkward but I suppose Microsoft expects most people to only have one hard drive or to know what to expect if they assign permissions.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Well, it did let me set "Full Control" to "Everyone", but I have also set ownership now. I was getting an occasional message from UE about not being able to access a file, that has stopped after setting permissions.

It is puzzling that it had an icon, it went away for a while, and now its back. So maybe it just got gas for a little while.

I must say that win7, now 4g of memory (up from 2g) and switching to x64 UE has a seat of the pants feel that says: FAST.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

'When Permissions Go Bad'...

Anytime you get into the quagmire that is resetting permissions you always hit a snag. At least I freely admit to that and I fix computers for a living. It happens often enough for things like this to exist. I use that a lot when I'm backing up computers that had password protected accounts with permissions set to private (when Windows first asks that question when you create a password).

So, is it, in the end, working now? If not, have you rebooted? I'd personally Take Ownership of the entire drive as you should own the root as well as anything below it.

P.S. Windows 7 is fantastic but it can always be made better. One of my favourites that I point people to is The Windows 7 Forums Tutorials.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Happily yes. UE itself always worked, and now for what, about a day? The icon has stayed on the desktop.

But yes, did reboot many times over the last couple days. Happily again, W7 boots pretty quick. Got auto-update on and last two nights the box downloaded updates that wanted a reboot. I wish it would prompt to reboot instead of just pulling the plug. What if I had a a long post going up with UE?

Thanks for your input. Larry
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Well you can always start by looking at Seven Forums.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

EXCELLENT!!!! Thank you kindly!

I did start looking there when you mentioned them previously, this is great.