UE and Avast antivirus

plasticman

UE and Avast antivirus

Post by plasticman »

I recently had to do a clean reinstall of my OS (now using Win 7) and of course all of my programs. I have the latest UE 2.9 installed and also installed Avast Free anti virus version 5.0.545.

In the past I never had any issues between them.

When I click get headers now I am receiving the following message from Avast. My news server is SSL connection and is very fast

" Avast detected secure connection from UE to NNTP server.

This type of connection cannot be checked for viruses. Please disable SSL/TLS in the client. Mail scanner will provide SSL/TSL security"

DO I need to do anything? If so what?

Thanks

Allan
Josef K

Re: UE and Avast antivirus

Post by Josef K »

Don't do this:
plasticman wrote:Please disable SSL/TLS in the client.
Instead disable this:
plasticman wrote:Mail scanner will provide SSL/TSL security
Disabling scanning of the connection will be fine, the files will be scanned as they are saved. I have the same type of scanner myself (not Avast) and it's irritating that they class NNTP as mail when it's clearly not. Whatever happens, if anything virus like is downloaded it will be saved as a file which will be scanned and then deleted immediately or you would get a popup asking you what you wanted to do with it.
xuzulyca

Post by xuzulyca »

Is it okay to have Avast and spybot Teatimer installed on your computer at the same time? because i know how they say its bad to have two antiviruses running, but is it bad to have Avast and spybot teatimer running at the same time??

Post by boston62 »

I run Avast Internet Security, I just disabled the scan of NNTP in Avast setup. Haven't had any problems with the SSL popup.

Real-Time Shields>Mail Shield>Main Settings uncheck Scan newsgroup messages (NNTP)
alex

Post by alex »

Basically if antivirus can analyze incoming traffic, then also your ISP or anything en route can e.g. get your server credentials or log downloads, same security risks as with browser without https, so better to use SSL.