403 errors and retrievals from groups not in path

Post Reply
tomhock
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:49 pm

403 errors and retrievals from groups not in path

Post by tomhock »

Recently I've run into a number of corrupt downloads on Giganews in which the article containing a par2 file for a large RAR set returns a 403 "no such article" error even though though the header appears in the search results and group results. I've seen some discussion of that here with one partial solution being to set preferences to ignore this error, but that hasn't helped me download all or part of these attachments. Then I came across another aspect of this mystery which I also do not understand. I am including a screen capture in hopes that it will illustrate the issue. As you can see, I performed a search for the subject "Boardwalk Empire" in the group "alt.binaries.teevee" with a time limit of 90 days. The search returned several different RAR sets. When I attempted to download one particular set, UE returned the 403 error for the header with the par2 file attachment. However, according to the error message, it had attempted to download this article and attachment from a totally different group, one outside the path specified in the search and not identified in the search returns -- alt.binaries.multimedia. What's up with that? How do you get from "teevee" to "multimedia?" I've been using UE for about three years, but there are still a lot of things about the program I do not understand.

Image

Click thumbnail to view full size image from image host sharenxs.com.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Re: 403 errors and retrievals from groups not in path

Post by alex »

As to this particular post the path is:

I couldn't download it (tried only one par2 file) from highwinds (ngroups), some parts were missing (no such article), but it is complete on astraweb.
tomhock
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:49 pm

Re: 403 errors and retrievals from groups not in path

Post by tomhock »

I guess I'm going to have to give Astraweb a try. Thanks for your response.
dracula
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:50 am
Location: the Netherlands

Post by dracula »

tomhock
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:49 pm

Re: 403 errors and retrievals from groups not in path

Post by tomhock »

Thanks. I've already done it, and I even turned off adblock to get the ad link from Kleverig so I would get the discount and they the referral credit. I've been a klever ever since ijsklontje went offline. I've already downloaded several of the RAR sets I couldn't get from Giganews. There's no doubt the problem resides there. Thanks again.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Re: 403 errors and retrievals from groups not in path

Post by alex »

I checked your screenshot, as to the other issue you mentioned - the file corresponding to the search results view (you see the small yellow icon modifier in the search view results) has the right group.

The other file you downloaded from a different search probably without defining newsgroup filter, so it should list those two groups since the message was crossposted, if you check the headers in the message body:

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.multimedia,alt.binaries.teevee

The question why it lists only one newsgroup and not both (or generally why it doesn't always list all newsgroups in import which are listed in search results) - I also noticed it only now, it is partly related to search service reorganization in the past to extend retention even as it was some deficiency in the UE code.

Does it really matter - no, since the message-id is the same, so it won't affect download which in the end goes by message-id.

So it is rather aesthetical issue, I fixed it here recompiled and reuploaded files, if you download the current release you'll see v3.1.1c, in the import view and task manager you will see at least all newsgroups which you see in the search results view (it may show more groups if the message is crossposted and you are subscribed to those newsgroups not matching the search view newsgroup filter).
tomhock
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:49 pm

Re: 403 errors and retrievals from groups not in path

Post by tomhock »

alex wrote:As to the other issue you mentioned - in your screenshot the file you have just downloaded (you see the small yellow icon modifier in the search view results) has the right group.

The answer to the question does it really matter is no, since the message-id is the same, so it won't affect download which in the end goes by message-id.

So it is rather aesthetical issue, I fixed it here recompiled and reuploaded files
Actually you have it backwards (I think). The whole reason for my second question was why groups were showing up in the import that were not in the search, not the other way around. To my way of thinking, the file in the search results with the yellow icon which corresponds to the file listed at the bottom of the error window has the "wrong" group. My recollection of the way search has always worked is that an that article fulfills the filter criteria is displayed with any crossposted groups, whether they fit the filter or not. In this case, it worked the other way. The search returned only one group, but the import used another. As you say, it doesn't matter, and perhaps my memory of this aspect of searches is wrong (although I use the search function constantly; it's one of the reasons I use your program).

Anyway, I appreciate your looking into this, and I will check out the latest update. Thanks.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Re: 403 errors and retrievals from groups not in path

Post by alex »

more exactly i think it added only one newsgroup out of the list of crossposted groups, maybe the first one or if newsgroups are internally sorted by some id, the first in the sort order, but again as to downloading it didn't matter, noone before you noticed the discrepancy.

i'll edit the thread above a bit, so not to call for troubles (not for me).
ranger
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 6:34 pm

Post by ranger »

tomhock wrote:Recently I've run into a number of corrupt downloads on Giganews in which the article containing a par2 file for a large RAR set returns a 403 "no such article" error even though though the header appears in the search results and group results. I've seen some discussion of that here with one partial solution being to set preferences to ignore this error, but that hasn't helped me download all or part of these attachments.
There's no mystery about the Giganews issue, in the older Topic 2947 I offer a solution that would help you download all of the attachments.
tomhock
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:49 pm

Re:

Post by tomhock »

ranger wrote:
tomhock wrote:Recently I've run into a number of corrupt downloads [snip] I've seen some discussion of that here . . .
There's no mystery about the Giganews issue, in the older Topic 2947 I offer a solution that would help you download all of the attachments.

Yes, your thread was the earlier discussion I referred to. I've already switched providers to Astraweb, and that has (so far) eliminated the problem. Thanks for the help.
Post Reply