Lost headers from system crash

LarryM

Lost headers from system crash

Post by LarryM »

I had a hardware problem on my PC and UE seems to have lost some headers.

I had downloaded the attachments, then Undeleted the headers (I like to keep them in the group so I can see that I downloaded them). I have UE and its database on its own little disk drive, but after I fixed the hardware problem, I started UE and saw that several of these headers were missing (the whole season one of a tv show). I thought maybe they'd just been deleted, clicked to show deleted - nothing. Hmm... did a rescan of the newsgroup that should have contained these headers, still nothing.

I thought doing a rescan always restored missing headers. Is there something else I can do? Or do I need to reset the headers in that group then get headers? (I'd rather not do this as I use custom groups and this would lose this info)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks Larry

ps - again, this was not caused by UE, at least not directly.

Edit note - I have "Natural" header deletion in this group, so it shouldn't have timed out.
alex

Re: Lost headers from system crash

Post by alex »

Try to right click on the newsgroup in the workspace and invoke advanced->reset header ranges.

There are rescan settings in properties->general which limit the scope of headers rescanned, but maybe it is just simpler to reset the header range so all headers will be redownloaded.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I guess that's my only hope.

Tell me tho... the difference between a rescan and reset & normal header get is that all my custom collections will be lost with the reset, right?

thanks, Larry
alex

Post by alex »

"advanced->reset header range" is not the same as "reset headers", resetting header range doesn't affect existing headers.

as to rescan you can check options in edit menu->properties->general, rescan headers, if you have "rescan only last x headers" empty and "only redownload" checked it should be the same result as reset header range.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Sorry if I'm a little dense here...

I can now see that one of my groups has a hole in the headers it has. I have retention set to 400 days. When sorted by date, I can see that has 400 days old to around 200 days old, then again just about 50 days old. I don't know if its missing little holes at other places, but this is a big one.

So if I do the "advance -> reset header range", UE will go back 400 days and fill in this and any other holes in my headers?

This group has a LOT of headers and I have a pathetically slow internet connection, getting headers from 400 days back will take 3 or 4 days time, I want to be sure that when this is done, the problem will be fixed.

thanks, Larry