Imported headers disappear after close and re-open

vwgolfman

Imported headers disappear after close and re-open

Post by vwgolfman »

Hello all,
I have a query if somebody can help please?

When I select "Import > Import Only" and select an .NZB file I can view all of the headers.

If I then close Usenet Explorer it advises "saving import" but when I re-open it, the headers in the "import folder" have disappeared.

Please help, thank you.
alex

Re: Imported headers disappear after close and re-open

Post by alex »

Check the retention in the import group in edit menu->properties->newsgroups, change it to "Natural", I need to check if I set it for import type or it just gets the default like the normal groups.
vwgolfman

Post by vwgolfman »

Thank you Alex!

That worked :-)

The option was on "Default". When I selected "Natural" the imported headers suddenly appeared :)
alex

Post by alex »

I recalled the reasoning was so deleted headers won't accumulate indefinitely with the import group size growing until it starts loading slowly, as there is no an automatic purging headers after save option and to see deleted headers you need to check corresponding checkbox, and when something is imported, usually it is downloaded and headers are not needed any more.

So maybe to invoke "purge deleted headers" (the "Advanced" submenu of the Import group context menu) from time to time if the "Natural" retention is set or to define a finite retention which would cover the usual download date range.

The import group type also doesn't have the compact binary option, so they are more memory greedy, when they were added the situation is was different as the main source of memory consumption was downloading headers in large newsgroups, as all headers are downloaded and only relatively few are used to download articles, I don't remember if it can easily be changed to use the compact binary code for the import group type, maybe I need to check it.