Hooks

PietPuk

Hooks

Post by PietPuk »

Hi,
I use a global filter to show me all pending messages (and use action "extract").
When I open the (global) filter there appears (also) a little window with an undo-button.
When I click on the cross in the corner of the window to close it, newspro quits instantly without even saving the database.
Of course the simplest solution is not to click there, but I am stupid sometimes :)

Piet
alex

Post by alex »

pressing cross should just close the window. you mean you press 'global message filter', enter a name, the message filter dialog appears and you press the cross and newspro is terminated?

if so, what happens on your system - some third party hook or driver terminates newspro.

usually such problems can be resolved only by full uninstall of the application that installed the hook/driver.

newspro doesn't terminate itself, it can exit normally or, in the case of crash it will show the error box. it cannot just disappear.

maybe it is something connected to interface, since it apparently intercepts creating/closing windows, i just don't know what you have installed, hooks/drivers reside in every application address space and thus have full control of every process (actually they become a part of every process but it is you who installs them, i cannot do anything about it).
PietPuk

Post by PietPuk »

alex wrote:you mean you press 'global message filter', enter a name, the message filter dialog appears and you press the cross and newspro is terminated?
Almost.
When the message filter appear, I enter the condition "messages are pending". I click extract, I click close and the windows stays.
If I do not touch it anymore, everything goes fine (the window does disappears after a while and all pending messages (that have not started yet) are shown), but trying to close it with the cross-button terminates newspro instantly (actually, while testing this problem I had to click that crossbutton several times before newspro disappeared).
I took into consideration of course what you said about other programs, so I have tested it after using this little program EndItAll.exe and have that close (not kill) every program it could (27!) and closed 2 more myself.
All that was left was my firewall and in the WindowsTaskManager (I use win2k) all I could see was e few typical windows-processes like spooler and winlogon and such.
And even after this the problem stayed.

Piet
alex

Post by alex »

EndItAll.exe ? did you try to uninstall it completely? Maybe a bug in it, newspro has 3 user interface threads running. If you invoke properties->general, bugs, 'submit', in errorlog.txt in the newspro database directory (you see it when you invoke file menu->switch database) in errorlog.txt you'll see dlls in the newspro address space, there is a good chance you'll see there the third party dll responsible for the problem.
PietPuk

Post by PietPuk »

I see I did not understand you completely.
With EndItAll.exe I closed all programs, but you did not mean to just close, but uninstall, right?
But "submit to errorlog.txt" seemed to be a very good idea, because I found powermenu.dll in it (its really a beautiful little program that adds 4 options to every window: set transparancy, set priority, always on top, minimize to tray) and after your words on hooks and handles, I bet this is the one causing the problem.
I am glad this little problem seems to be solved. :)

Thanks

Piet
alex

Post by alex »

if the problem disappears after uninstalling the culprit just contact their support, if they can reproduce it - from their side it is very easy to fix, probably they don't treat correctly applications with several user interface threads, nothing can be done about their code running in the newspro address space.