Fix for the Usenetserver.com index problems - when?

Gues

Fix for the Usenetserver.com index problems - when?

Post by Gues »

Hi,
I like the feature to simply stuff the newsgroups with a similar topic in folders, like all startrek groups. NewsPro neatly handles the double posted things this way :)
However, Alex you know that UNS doesn't like it that way because of their screwed up index. I have to open the groups when I start to download. Do you plan a fix for this problem any time soon?
alex

Post by alex »

I'll give the answer in 4-5 days, I'll consider an option so the rest of users would not be affected, but it won't work for xpat and msg-id direct - for msg-id direct it is not possible in principle, and for xpat it would require indexing possibly thousands of newsgroups. The option is not so straightforward to implement and currently I'm working wth different code and cannot give the answer. Better register on the forum so I have your email for some case.

In another data model I'm working on now such an option will be straightforward but it is not intentional, just a consequence.

why not to change the usenet provider? if they cannot maintain their server in order they may well have other problems too. several days ago a similar problem was with newsguy, they fixed it in one day, they all treat such cases as corrupted server database and know how to deal with it - maybe except for usenetserver (there is something you cannot find with other providers or they have better terms?).

i'll email them the link to this thread, maybe they have something to tell, it should be a question for them in the first place.
Gues

Post by Gues »

Hi Alex,
well you are right that UNS should fix that, mabye I will email them about it. I didn't know that the solution would be a bittel complicated, in Grabit it's only a checkbox to switch between the ways the program downloads as someone told me. But I like NewsPro, purchased it and stick to it.
Changing the Provider is for now not an option for me. UNS is nearly unbeatable with the speed and the unlimited download plan. And it can handle all the server they have very good.
blackdog56

Post by blackdog56 »

If I remember correctly, Grabit does not keep track of cross posting at all, so it doesnt really compare well. But, has been more than 6 months since I used it...
alex

Post by alex »

The fix for folders is in the development section, our measly contribution into proliferation of crippled servers :)

Post by Guest »

Thanks Alex, works great. :D