news.tweakdsl.nl

Dorko

Post by Dorko »

Recently I have been getting the following error message when downloading message bodies from the alt.binaries newsgroups via my provider tweakdsl.nl. (news.tweakdsl.nl)

NewsPro Error - Bad Message-Id in the retrieved article (20020)

I can't find out what is wrong.
Downloading articles containing the .rar files ALL fail, the par files are ok, the msi file is ok.
To save the articles I try the Save Attachment option, this results in downloading the bodies, the .rar files, but they are all damaged when checked with quickpar. What is wrong?

The strange thing is, that on my second computer exactly the same problems occured at the same time. Could this be a problem of my provider?
Erik

Post by Erik »

I have the same problem since 3 days and also have tweakdsl.
Also got a lot off error while dloading, sometimes i have to redload the file many times before it gets complete. Each time it seems to dload the same parts.
Example: file = 100 parts.
NP dload 100 parts gives no finished mark.
dload agian it dload now agian 50 parts
then 20
then 10
then 3
then 1
finaly complete.
So i dloaded instead of 100 parts, 186 parts !

Also sometimes files dont get saved. I save them manually but sometimes it doesnt work, nothing gets saved. I have to delete the body and dload it again. Also tried it with astraweb but same result

I dont have zonealarm but sygate and winxp sp2 fw
alex

Post by alex »

as to the bad message-id error.

in v3.8 there is an option to (better temporarily) disable the bad message-id check in properties->articles.

then you can check what it returns, but it is for sure a wrong or empty article.

it looks like a server bug, if you like contact me by email, i'll try to add an option to force download by article number for tests, maybe when downloading by message-id the server gives the wrong article but when by article number it would give the right one (actually the odds should be the opposite, so if it is the case - it is very nasty server malfunction).

as to the last post check console what is the error when newspro reports mishap, maybe it is yenc checksum or other error, then it is something different.
Erik

Post by Erik »

I unchecked "disable the bad message-id check in properties->articles" but like you said no errors but the dloaded jpg or rm file is not viewable.

I will email you for a testversion, like you asked.

i also checked the console, but there was no error, only the "20020" 's. It is just like there isnt a saved file. I tried deleting the body and redload it, then most of the time the work.
I dont think there is much you can do with so little information and there is not much more i can tell you.
alex

Post by alex »

i added the option here:

http://www.netwu.com/newspro/npr38an.zip

in properties->articles, download by article number when possible, in the bottom, right above the google search string, it is unchecked by default.

check it to see whether there is a difference, if there is i'll leave it.

if it works try to toggle and try it several times while checked/unchecked to be absolutely sure there is a difference.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Alex: I tried each option twice.

unchecked, lots off errors and redownloads needed

checked, no more errors anymore. After saving checked with par2 and it was complete.

I dont what it does or how it works. But it works!!!

Will try more files the next two days, to be 110% sure.
Thanks.
Marc

Post by Marc »

alex wrote:i added the option here:

http://www.netwu.com/newspro/npr38an.zip

in properties->articles, download by article number when possible, in the bottom, right above the google search string, it is unchecked by default.

check it to see whether there is a difference, if there is i'll leave it.

if it works try to toggle and try it several times while checked/unchecked to be absolutely sure there is a difference.
Alex,

Since the bad message ID error has got probably something to do when importing an nzb file, is it possible that the Google message checkup string could be adjusted in order to solve the issue?

To dload nzb files I use http://www.nzb4u.com and http://nzb.on-drugz.net

To me it is very clear that the provider is the troublemaker (again) and denies the fact that there is a REAL problem.

1) adding another NNTP server solved my issue, but this is a temp solution
2) On my other computer the same problems occured at the same time
3) Other tweakdsl users reported the same error

Thanks anyway for the great support!
Erik

Post by Erik »

Marc: the fix works only for the atricles downloaded via headers. It doesnt work (yet) when you use a nzb file.

How a newsprovider such as tweak can do something this stupid is a complete &^^%$
alex

Post by alex »

as to .nzb files - the updated version will force the group command followed by retrieving by message-id.

article numbers are different for different servers - it is a server internal counter, naturally .nzb files cannot contain a server specific info. with xpat newspro currently doesn't keep artilce numbers.

your server works correctly only when using its article numbers, thus .nzb files cannot be downloaded properly in any scenario.
AEROX

Post by AEROX »

alex wrote:as to .nzb files - the updated version will force the group command followed by retrieving by message-id.

article numbers are different for different servers - it is a server internal counter, naturally .nzb files cannot contain a server specific info. with xpat newspro currently doesn't keep artilce numbers.

your server works correctly only when using its article numbers, thus .nzb files cannot be downloaded properly in any scenario.
Alex,
people who using the provider Tweakdsl has this problem bad message id or mishap because the provider newsserver moved from Telecity 2 to Redbus.
There for newspro working good.
I hope that you find a solution for this big problem.

sincerely,

Gerard :wink: :wink:
alex

Post by alex »

as to the usual newsgroups read the message above with the link to a version which has an option to handle the server malfunction.

as to .nzb files it cannot work in principle since apparently the server doesn't understand the retrieval by message-id (otherwise it would work for newspro xpat groups and it doesn't).

also try to disable "properties->general->keep alive" so newspro will make a new connection every time it downloads a body, who knows maybe it will be working then, this strange thing that eventually one was able to download everything after many retries, maybe the server has problem with reusing existing connections.
Erik

Post by Erik »

first test: dloading files 3 days old with nzb.
errors.

unchecked "keep alive" + restart
now it dloaded the same, result complete

checked "keep alive" + restart
dloaded the same, this time result complete????

I dont get it anymore. Alex can you have a look in the source or the code for "keep alive"on/off is working. Can it be that "keep alive" = off owrks and "keep alive" is on not?
Marc

Post by Marc »

AEROX wrote:
alex wrote:as to .nzb files - the updated version will force the group command followed by retrieving by message-id.

Alex,
people who using the provider Tweakdsl has this problem bad message id or mishap because the provider newsserver moved from Telecity 2 to Redbus.
There for newspro working good.
I hope that you find a solution for this big problem.

sincerely,

Gerard :wink: :wink:

I still have problems with Tweakdsl, using NZB to DL.
Newspro still same errors.
Also using the Grabit beta 1.5, similiar problems.

The major problem is TweakDSL itself, they deny that there are any problems, they say that Erik and I are the only people complaining, they don't mention anything on the website about the failures. They told me that if I posted the mails they sent me, they will send a lawyer to sew me.
They don't want to talk to me anymore regarding this subject.
They deny EVERYTHING. They don't say sorry. They don't refund me.
So, I subscribrd to a payserver (newsxs.nl) and everything works fine.

Everybody in The Netherlands: draw your conclusions...

Alex, thanks for your wonderful help.
TweakDSL should contact you in order to learn a lot about decent customer support and some technical education.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Dear Alex,

When I saw the problems with newspro and tweakdsl i've tested your program and the od thing i noticed was that it has only problems with diablo based news servers.
Is it possible for you to contact the newsmaster from tweakdsl?
For me as a customer it's inpossible to see what kind of communication fault occures between newspro and diablo.
You both can see excactly what kind of commands there are needed for communication between reader and server.

info@cambrium.nl is the mail adres of the company.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Marc wrote: The major problem is TweakDSL itself, they deny that there are any problems, they say that Erik and I are the only people complaining, they don't mention anything on the website about the failures. They told me that if I posted the mails they sent me, they will send a lawyer to sew me.
They don't want to talk to me anymore regarding this subject.
They deny EVERYTHING. They don't say sorry. They don't refund me.
So, I subscribrd to a payserver (newsxs.nl) and everything works fine.

Everybody in The Netherlands: draw your conclusions...

Alex, thanks for your wonderful help.
TweakDSL should contact you in order to learn a lot about decent customer support and some technical education.
The problem is that only users of newspro are complaining.
All the other programm's, newsbin, newsleecher, news reactor, xnews etc don't have any problem with tweakdsl.
Is it that strange that tweakdsl is making a conclusion that it's a reader software problem?
You are helding tweakdsl responsable, asking them for refund and that isn't fair at all.

Alex has to contact tweakdsl and work to a solution with them, it's not up to us to solve this problem, we are just customers.