Headers

Bodach

Headers

Post by Bodach »

If I have two servers downloading headers will each server store its own set of headers or will the program combine them and only store one set and thus 1/2 the space?
alex

Post by alex »

it combines them (subject, author etc. are stored only 1 time), but if you make a server message-id direct with no headers it won't store information about its destinations, so it will take less storage. i'm also working on additional improvements here.
Sheffer

Post by Sheffer »

I'll hijack this thread, I also got a question concerning headers.

When I download headers I set the retention to, say, 1-3 days. NP then starts to download headers, and it seems it downloads all headers and throws away them, until it gets to the last 3 days. Is this correct? Is there anyway to take "bigger leaps" than dl:ing every header? Also for some reason, this thing, downloading headers that it throws away take ages on my comp, about 2-8kb / sec, but all other operations, such as downloading headers that is within the 1-3 day window and downloading bodies, this at full speed, 1200Kb / sec.
Big difference. Any ideas?

Comp: Athlon 3000+ with 1GB of RAM.
///. Tom H
alex

Post by alex »

no, it doesn't download all the headers, it only downloads dates and then starts with the first relevant header. it happens only the first time after you have changed the retention.

since daily newsgroup volume is more or less the same you can use 'last headers' instead, it is fast since doesn't require to scan all headers in the first time.
Sheffer

Post by Sheffer »

Thank you Alex, using last headers works like a charm.
:D