Feature Request - Different View Representation

Paul

Feature Request - Different View Representation

Post by Paul »

Hello Alex and the rest on this forum,

First off, thanks for making an excellent news reader again. I've used NP for some years now and although it served me very well, it used immense resources on my system. The new UE is incredibly fast and uses almost no noticable resources. Hats off to you, Alex!

I don't know if it has been suggested already; I coudn't find it. Or maybe it's already in the program and again: I coudn't find it. This is what I would like as an enhancement in UE.

The current view lists a newsgroup like alt.binaries.multimedia in such a way that a movie consisting of say 200 parts will show as 200 different parts. To download such a movie one would have to select all 200 entries and select download. Would it be possible to show such repeating entries as a single entry preceded by a plus sign? This would enable me to simply select the single entry and download the movie. Clicking on the plus sign would then give me the full 200 entries.
I think such a view would also drastically improve the readability of a big binary group.
It's a bit like the treaded view already there, but this time for binaries. That view would also be nice to have in the task manager.

I don't know if this is possible, and I realize it's probably quite difficult to implement, but it would greatly enhance UE (I think:-)
I hope I did make myself clear.

Regards,

Paul
alex

Post by alex »

i have reservations in the code for such a change, it is easier to add, say, than text threading, but it requires maybe a month of work and at least theoretically things may run a little slower, although most probably only a little, also it is more likely to be mostly a view mode with the task manager intact (at least initially). btw. if while posting to create a reference to a dummy parent ue will show such posts in one thread (although not for compact binary type since it ignores threads in partials). so maybe i'll work on other things in the meantime and think and see :)
Paul

Post by Paul »

So it's not too difficult then. I hope sometime in the future you find the time to add this. I imagine you've got loads of work to do! Anyway, you've already made me a happy (registered) UE user. I look forward to future updates!
alex

Post by alex »

the main problem here might be references e.g. given power post method of posting par2 sets.

maybe the way to resolve it is to completely dereference partials, probably as an option (but in binary groups except for these text newsreader unfriendly par2 posts mostly the posts are linear and almost no text at all).
Paul

Post by Paul »

It's probably very hard to include everyting under the "plus" sign that should belong there. However, I should think that there is no need for you to resolve other people or programs inconsistensies in posting one post in different chunks or inconsistent headers. Making the program sort multiple entries under one header is already a huge improvement (in my point of view:-) over the current and other programs out there. I find that browsing through the headerlist is a cumbersome task which would be greatly simplyfied if this option would work even partly.
Anyway, take your time. There's a long featurelist waiting for you.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I wonder if you're a previous BNR3 user...

BNR3 has this feature and I must say it's very useful in certain situations. In BNR, it's called 'hierachical view'. However, I found sometimes that because everything was condensed into a single line (NFO, PAR2s and the files themselves) that many times I'd click the hierachical view button to display headers the old way. The reason being that when scanning a large number of headers, it's easy to miss that one line - unless it's made obvious through a colour scheme or other way.

The other problem is how to handle the &%$*%&^*$ PowerPost mess... Try to deal with them or just leave them as is - all with (????) at the beginning of the line which completely screws up sorting in any meaningful way? It would be very nice to have the option in UE but having said that there are a few other features I think that live on the top of the stack as regards feature requests. It all depends on how bored Alex is at the time... :lol:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Joseph,

No, i'm not a BNR3 user (no idea what program that is actually:).
I understand that you like the view but that it also gave you trouble finding lines you wanted. My idea would be a "plus" sign which you could click which would expand the all the entries beneath it. This way, the rest of the entries would still be hidden by the plus signs. Outlook and Outlook express have those kind of views (by conversation topic). However, the problems described before also apply to Outlook. Still it is a most usefull feature.
The powerpost posts are a powerful mess :) Now with the weather as it is today, do you think Alex is bored enough to start coding our feature reqs or is he doing some serious chilling at some pub? :lol:

Regards,
Paul
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Paul wrote:No, i'm not a BNR3 user (no idea what program that is actually.
It's another news client that I'd used before switching to UE.
Paul wrote:I understand that you like the view but that it also gave you trouble finding lines you wanted.
The view itself being more condensed required a lot more patience to scan the headers. For instance, if I'm quickly skipping through headers in UE, a large CD/DVD sized RAR set is easily noticeable - all the same subject/filenames grouped in sequence. The same set in the one single subject line (while not expanded) can easily be overlooked. You might think it's a feature that would simplify matters but when you have a lot single file posts, the many 'REQ:' posts or one line replies that people are so fond of, you can miss the things you would otherwise see.
Paul wrote:My idea would be a "plus" sign which you could click which would expand the all the entries beneath it.
In BNR3 it is like this already. However, for the reason I give above I turned this off fairly soon after a little bit of experimenting.