Newbie questions about UE from a former NP user....

Tipperton

Newbie questions about UE from a former NP user....

Post by Tipperton »

Does anybody know that the news group load states mean and why you would choose one over the others?
  • Persist
  • Load
  • Unload
  • Auto
--------------------

Also on the servers tab in properties, sever options have two check boxes, one just below the property desciption or title and the other labeled Disable or Always. What's the difference? For example; for the properties with a disable check box, what's the difference betwen checking Disable and leaving both check boxes unchecked, or for the properties with an Always check box, whats the difference between checking Always and leaving Always unchecked and checking the other check box?

--------------------

And lastly (for now...:roll:) , is there a way to know if you can use Message ID Direct and is there an advantage to using it?

Thanks!
:cool: [b]Tipperton Thistledown[/b]
[i]Seek the aid of those not men to quench the fires of war,
Else Evil triumphant will ascend and rule fore ever more.[/i]
alex

Post by alex »

newsgroup can be in loaded and unloaded state.

while it is unloaded ue doesn't know anything about its headers without bodies, thus if you e.g. mark some headers read in one group and they were cross-posted in some other group which is unloaded, the headers may appear unread later. from other side keeping newsgroup loaded increases resources consumption.

auto means newsgroup is unloaded when you close newsgroup views and it doesn't get headers.

disable/always apply to all servers, thus you can (e.g. temporarily) ignore individual server settings without changing them.

message-id direct for servers works exactly like in newspro, for newsgroup it means ue doesn't keep info about servers the article belongs to, it is still much worse in memory than compact binary type (but better than the rest of newsgroup destination types).
Tipperton

Post by Tipperton »

OK, Thanks!

Any idea what the Persist option for news group state is?
:cool: [b]Tipperton Thistledown[/b]
[i]Seek the aid of those not men to quench the fires of war,
Else Evil triumphant will ascend and rule fore ever more.[/i]
hholland

Post by hholland »

Me, too. Should have read before I ask huh? :)

Thanks Alex.
alex

Post by alex »

persist means ue will remember the group state (loaded or unloaded) and when the next time you start the program it will load the group if it was loaded.

but in the end it is not a very important option at least when you are using the compact binary newsgroup destination type and you don't worry much about cross-posted tracking, just when implementing something i provide some completeness to give more integrity to the whole.

in the future i also may add keeping the window layout (at least opened newsgroups) as an option, it might be more useful practically.