What a difference an OS makes! :-)

poma5

What a difference an OS makes! :-)

Post by poma5 »

I just wanted to mention that I had been running NewPro on a 2.4Ghz P4 with 512 megs of Ram with Windows98SE operating system. When pulling headers in any of the groups my CPU utilization always shot up to 100% and stayed there until I finished pulling headers. During the pulling of headers it was hard to do much else with my computer. Well this weekend I finally wiped my drive aand installed WindowsXP Pro. Boom! The difference in CPU utilization is astounding. My CPU utilization now never gets higher than 20% during the downloading of headers in the same groups. I now can use my computer to burn CD's while pulling headers no problem. I have never liked the looks of XP and didn't realize just how much better the memory management really is in XP over win9X. Still think MS sells Bloated Software, but they seem to have gotten a lot better with memory management. Put me in such a good mood that I went out and got another 512 meg of DDR ram.
Thanks to whoever it was in the Binnews forums that mentioned this and got me thinking. I wanted to get their name and thank them but that forum is gone it appears.

J.P. :D
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

XP is great. Ever since Alex made some modifications a long time back to help improve database performance and me having switched to XP I never have the hard drive thrashing or slowdowns while getting headers.
[img]http://graphics.thalunatik.com/sig6.png[/img]