Header download issue? (a"problem" with max.group)

calwatch

Header download issue? (a"problem" with max.group)

Post by calwatch »

When I am downloading headers there is one particular server that is a little slower than the others. What is interesting is that the other servers will stop downloading headers, at least until I cancel the header downloads on the slow server and the other faster ones mysteriously start back up again.

Is this waiting for servers to "catch-up" by design?
alex

Post by alex »

there is no connection unless you put servers in a subset with limited tasks or overall header tasks are limited.

if you see any cross-dependence it must be your firewall or your isp issue/limit, ue just running several header task threads with the same priority, no reason in the program why cancelling one task would speed up other tasks.
edfreeman

Post by edfreeman »

Try setting the "max groups" to 99. I am chatting with Alex on the same issue, I think, and this workaround was successful for me.
alex

Post by alex »

here is the "problem":

it is indeed the max.groups option and it seems the default is too small.

the option was originally designed to limit the maximal number of loaded groups to further save memory.

so it means the number of loaded newsgroups in the header queue rather than the number of newsgroups which can have header tasks running.

when some server has finished downloading headers and there are other servers pending for the same newsgroup and the tasks are not prevented from running because of disabled or maxed servers, ue won't unload the newsgroup but rather will wait until another server is available, but the group will still count towards the max.groups parameter.

thus if you want to disable the option - just empty the value.

if you want the option to work (to unload newsgroups after comleting header tasks which also saves the groups) - set it to some large value as edfreeman suggested.

so in the next version i'll increase the default value or maybe set it empty for new installations, also i've updated here UE.txt which didn't state that clearly (will be in the next version).

thanks for noticing the issue, it is not a bug but it should be clarified.