Rescan shows only 30000 headers for every group?

Gary Gnews

Rescan shows only 30000 headers for every group?

Post by Gary Gnews »

Just wondering why when there are many more headers in these groups.
-- GG
dengle

Post by dengle »

Do you have "headers per server" set? Check retention levels as well. My bet is Headers per server was set to 30000
bassie

Post by bassie »

i wonder:

did you already do a scan (i mean "get headers") before doing a rescan?
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

I have fixed the problem, but it wasn't related to your suggestions (although I appreciate your input).

Default retention is set to 45 days, default headers per server is set to all., and all groups are using default settings. I was getting "rescan xx% xxxx/30000" on the vast majority of groups - after my initial post, I did notice that some groups were rescanning far more headers.

In Properties->General, there is an option to "Only Download Headers" in the "Rescan Headers" box, and under that option, there is a setting to allow only the last x number of headers to be scanned - this defaults to 30,000. But, since it is in that same box with the unchecked option, I never paid much attention to it. Obviously, this was my problem and changing that setting fixed things up.

I still wonder, though, why some groups were rescanning more than 30,000 headers when that was the value in effect for rescanning.

Thanks for your input.
-- GG
bassie

Post by bassie »

Yesterday I also looked at that option but i did not have a number standing there, and i did not check that option. So with me it rescanned all headers and so i thought that you would not have this either.

But now i think i changed this already some months ago and i think this setting is transfered to the new version when i install that new version.

So probably i already thought some months ago i should change it. Anyway, i think that only 30000 headers is not much for those big newsgroups.
But maybe there is a purpose for that.
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

I think that once the auto-get headers feature is available and we are able to get new headers every 2-3 hours, a rescan of the last 30,000 every 5th turn will probably be enough - we'll have to experiment with that.
-- GG