Getting all headers......

jmbailey2000

Getting all headers......

Post by jmbailey2000 »

I'm sure this is posted somewhere but I haven't been able to find it and most things I've tried just don't seem to work.

How can I reset a newsgroup so I can retrieve and see ALL headers in the group? UE seems to grab a ton of headers, but I never see them because I've already retrieved them previously.

Suggestions?
jonib

Post by jonib »

In the properties for the newsgroup you want to reset change Retention/Dates to Natural and Headers per server to all and then choose Reset headers from the rightclick menu.
Now when you do a Get new headers you should get all headers in that newsgroup.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything. :D

jonib
compgeek

Thanks Jonib

Post by compgeek »

For the answer and JM for asking the question.
Solved the problem for me! :D
driesbessels

Reset all headers???

Post by driesbessels »

Unfortunately not for me. When I do this it wil get all (or seemingly at least most) headers for the last 150 days but nothing beyond that. Is that correct?
How can I get *all* headers since I know the server has much more retention!
Thanks!
Dries
Josef K

Re: Reset all headers???

Post by Josef K »

driesbessels wrote:Unfortunately not for me. When I do this it wil get all (or seemingly at least most) headers for the last 150 days but nothing beyond that. Is that correct?
How can I get *all* headers since I know the server has much more retention!
Some servers only allow header retrieval for a certain number of days while you can only download much older articles by using NZBs. It depends which server you're using. They may advertise 400 days retention yet only allow you to download headers back to 150 days ago. Read your server FAQ to confirm whether this is the case.

For example, reading on the Ngroups.net site:
Retention - Our flexible server system has an ever-growing storage spool. The retention is now well over 400 DAYS. Header retention may yet be lower, but full retention is available via via message-ID, using NZB files.. Text groups have up to three years of retention.