Do 600+ day old files really exist?

krdu

Do 600+ day old files really exist?

Post by krdu »

I see search results over 600 days old. Do they really exist? If so, which server has them?

Thanks
jonib

Re: Do 600+ day old files really exist?

Post by jonib »

Astraweb has 672 days retention and has a good price, and using this link you get "Unlimited DSL - US$ 11 every month".

jonib
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

I've been with Giganews several years. Very reliable. With Usenet Explorer you can definitely download many complete sets over a year old and they keep increasing the retention. It's over 600 days now.

I think in the years I've had an account I can only remember them being down for a few hours. It's always there.
"When a woman demands honesty, I just assume she's lying."
- MilesAhead
malcarada

Post by malcarada »

Yes it exists, I am with Astraweb and their retention is over 600 days for binaries. I have managed to download some of those old files, this is not just marketing.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

malcarada wrote:this is not just marketing.
Agreed. There is some sort of retention war going on at the moment. If one provider ups theirs, the others have to follow or lose to their competitors. I also have an Astra account and 600+ is there although their website doesn't appear to state the current retention very accurately, which is good. Work on retention first and the website later.

Although, having said this, it is maddening when I go to get something that's maybe 100-200 days old and it's just not there. Maybe it's just particular groups but the files are usually somewhere else so it's not something I've dwelled on.
jefft19

Post by jefft19 »

In fact, more than 850+ day old files still exist on Giganews. If you hurry you can get in on their Platinum plan, which at $29.99 US is quite reasonable to me. If you subscribe before Dec. 31, 2010 you can lock in that price as they are going up by $5 a month. They are completely uncensored and offer anonymous downloading. As far as I'm concerned, they are the best! I've been a subscriber for 6 years now and never have had a glitch. I recommend them highly!
jonib

Post by jonib »

I don't really see how $29.99 US is reasonable, Astraweb is up to 844 days for $15 ($11) per month, I get full speed (2MByte/s) and had no problems for years.

jonib
Get Usenet Explorer Automatic Updater here. You want to flatter me? Image
jefft19

Post by jefft19 »

I guess "reasonable" is subjective. For my $30, I also get SSL plus VPN, plus a pretty cool newly developed newsreader. I'll stay with Giga, but I've heard many good things about Astra also.
kurtb

Post by kurtb »

Astraweb has free SSL.