Avast false alarm UE 64-bit

RedAphex

Avast false alarm UE 64-bit

Post by RedAphex »

Malware detected as Win64.Vitro - anyone else having this problem?
alex

Re: Avast! Threat Detected in UE.exe version 3.4 64-bit

Post by alex »

If you have the version for some time - try to redownload it. Few days ago I've repacked the 64 bit version to make the compressed executable compatible with Windows 8 (underlying code or uncompressed compilation didn't change).

Or you have downloaded it just now? Compressed executalbe is a random sequence of bytes, if some sequence coincide with a virus signature of the antivirus it would trigger the false alarm, the question then can you set the antivirus to ignore it?
RedAphex

Post by RedAphex »

I downloaded it this morning. I can ignore it but I wanted to hear from someone with authority that it's okay to do so. Thanks Alex.

Update: I went ahead an submitted it to Avast! for review as a false positive. Hopefully they'll get it sorted out soon.
Basilicum

Post by Basilicum »

I have the same problem.

Avast is continuously deleting UE. I can only use UE when i shut off AVAST for example for 10 minutes.

I tried the 32 bit version, and that one works. I do not know if it matters which version i use. I have 64bit computer.

I sent a report to AVAST, so hopefully the look at it.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

I just experienced this problem upgrading to v3.5 x64. Avast reports false positive. I had to downgrade again to v3.4.

Hodge
alex

Post by alex »

Here is the uncompressed v3.5 64 bit executable you can use it instead:

http://www.usenetexplorer.com/ue35reg64.rar

The problem is with Avira:

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?pa ... dID=127271

"Avira flags false positive by wholesale

A lot of people complained about Avira wholesale flagging, to no avail. IMHO, Avira is worse than most virus. Almost everything compressed with UPX, mpress, taktoe is flagged as malware. Almost everything compiled with lacerny is flagged with malware or virus. When people send mails to Avira telling that, the mails are ignored. In some cases, Avira claims that it is not doing that, it is not flagging by wholesale."

I'm using one of those above mentioned executable compressors. The above (wholesale flagging) sounds true since for two different compilations random sequences triggering antivirus is a highly unlikely event. Maybe they just don't have code in place to scan compressed executables so they found an easy way out.
mannix

Re: Avast false alarm UE 64-bit

Post by mannix »

I have the same problem with G-Data 2013, is it possible to have the uncompressed version?
The link you posted isn't working anymore.

EDIT: Ok, adding 1 to the version did the trick :)

http://www.usenetexplorer.com/ue351reg64.rar

Thank you
alex

Re: Avast false alarm UE 64-bit

Post by alex »

Yes, this is the link, someone requested yesterday through email and notified me that he couldn't post on forum, the web hosting made bulk update and revoked a phpbb .php file permissions, fixed that.