NewsPro How To site created

MikeStammer

NewsPro How To site created

Post by MikeStammer »

All,
At the request of some folks at DSL Reports, I have created a complete walkthru for NewsPro detailing every command, button, menu, etc. in the program. You can check it out at:

http://mikestammer.com:81/NewsPro

Please let me know if there are any mistakes or if something isnt clear so I can get it updated. The site was a lot of work, but worth it. I hope you guys enjoy it. Alex, thank you so much for such a fantastic program!

Mike Stammer
Tha*Lunat!k

Post by Tha*Lunat!k »

I wanted to do something like that for some time but I'm too lazy.

Some pictures won't load, but it could just be your webspace server (as it seems to be very slow at the moment).

Also on the main toolbar section, at the bottom there is "h3Help Menu", must have forgotten a bracket in there somewhere :)
[img]http://graphics.thalunatik.com/sig6.png[/img]
MikeStammer

Post by MikeStammer »

I fixed the h3 tag. Thanks for the catch!

about the pics not loading, the comcast web servers have been running slowly. Hopefully they will load for you eventually.

Thanks for the feedback!
I.M. Anonymous

Post by I.M. Anonymous »

I just stumbled across this in an effort to start using NewsPro. A bunch of graphics still come up as Red X's for me too. Just an FYI
MikeStammer

Post by MikeStammer »

everything is there. Try hitting F5 a few times. Comcasts web servers suck. this is why you arent seeing some pics
Erik

Post by Erik »

Newspro could surely use a good FAQ. And the "Kill filters and filter editor" screenprints / page is not up to date anymore.

Mike this is the best thing i ever saw, i searched the internet for something like this but could not find it. Why not change the subject to NewsPro FAQ.
Really great stuff.
I noticed things i dindnt knew or seen before. or things i always wanted to know. Really great stuff. Were you hoping for a free newspro licence :)

I make some comments now, maybe you can use it.
I just write what i see/think so dont take anything personal, please. Or else burn me into the ground i can have it ;)

Thinks i missed or noticed.

--------------------------
>An alternate version is here that has been rotated left for easier reading.
Make this your standard version the icons i can reconize 90 degree, but not the tekst.

>Printer doesnt do anything.
You have a printer installed? I think you can select a printer here, change resolution etc. Just like in Word97, etc.

>Clear history - I don't know where the history is, but this clears it!
That's the the part where you can enter words you want to filter on.
It remember those.

>Minimize disk accesses - Loads as much data into memory to avoid paging to disk.
Yes but that doesnt say much also. What happens exactly, does it make NP work/dload/write/save any faster (how memory is needed then), is it saver (what happens when something crashes) or is minimize better switched off.

>Enable scheduler - Toggles whether or not the scheduler is used
what a suprise :lol: but maybe a little example what a scheduler can do makes its easier to understand and to find more out about it.

------
i stop here. I read 1 and 2 sofar but i have a headache now. I will continue later on.

great stuff!
MikeStammer

Post by MikeStammer »

Hello!
Thank you for the feedback! It took a long time to do, but it was a fun thing to do! Glad you got to learn NewsPro better as a result of my work.

I had already purchased NewsPro when i started the How To, but the free license would have been cool too!

Remember, I am just a user of NewsPro, like you. I have no idea about the inner workings of the code or what each option does under the covers. And with that...

1. The only reason I left the icons as they appear is so that its easier to reference them when you are looking at your NewsPro screen.

2. Yes, I do. I just tried to print again and nothing came out. If this does do something, I could not get it to print. I dont even see a job get sent to my print queue when i use it.

3. Ah, that can be updated for clarification

4. I am not quite sure what this does exactly, so this is a best guess/general description. I am sure Alex can clarify this and add to the description with more technical details.

5. As I mention on page 3, I dont use the scheduler, so I dont have any examples. If someone who does can come up with something, it can be updated easy enough

Thanks for the info! This was the first release of the How To, so the more feedback I get from users, the better it will be for all of the NewsPro community! Take care!

Post by Guest »

Mikestammer,

This is a great initiative and I thank you for the work you put in it.

Thanks again,
:P