Exclusive download/upload

edfreeman

Exclusive download/upload

Post by edfreeman »

This may sound a little weird, but could the program provide an option to make uploads and downloads exclusive from one another? I allow 10 simultaneous tasks, 10 article tasks, and 3 upload tasks, with a priority of 100 and 1 respectively. Each day, I get my headers, queue up a bunch of files to download (lately, about 12 hours worth :D ) and some files to upload. Invariably, upload tasks will slip in (I would expect at a rate of 1 upload task per 100 download tasks) and bring the whole operation to a crawl (download speed slows to less than 500 kbps, upload crawls) until the upload task clears. It extends an unmonitored download/upload quite a bit over the total time that would be taken for an download then upload operation. Of course, I can set the allowed tasks of one to 0, but neither would be completed overnight so that I could start the other prior to leaving for the day. Just a thought.
dengle

Post by dengle »

I have a cablemodem myself and notice if I upload something simultaneously while downloading something, the download will suffer greatly if I try to upload at max bandwidth.

For instance, I have a download speed of 200 to 250 KB/s and an upload speed of max 20KB/s. If I try to max both, both will suffer greatly.

However, if I limit the upload speed to approximately 10 - 15 KB/s, downloads continue without a problem at the max speed. The download operations just need that extra upload speed to send the ACK's and other various overhead.