REQ: Directory Creation

onestep

REQ: Directory Creation

Post by onestep »

Hey Alex,
I don't think this feature is already implemented, but I have found it very useful with other readers.
Could you add an option to create a directory with the name of the group that the file being saved was from.
Example:
if I have 2 groups open, I would like anything from alt.binaries.celebrities to go in that directory that newspro could auto create if it didnt exist, and anything from alt.binaries.car-pictures to go into that directory, without having to manually add them, and then select each directory.

Not a major feature, but it sure is handy.

Thanks.
alex

Post by alex »

in edit menu->properties->newsgroups you can associate directories on per newsgroup basis (the browse button), also there is an option to prompt for each saved batch (also per newsgroup) - the ask checkbox.

as to automation in properties->watch/auto you can save on per filter/per newsgroup basis.

you can select several entries and use copy/paste.

so it includes more than you want, in theory i could add a button somewhere which will fill the 'save' control with newsgroup names in the newsgroup properties window, as to me i prefer to save per batch (e.g. an album to a separate directory). maybe to dump newsgroup output into one directory a bit messy.
starbbs

Post by starbbs »

Suggestion:

When download and saving the headers, Use the filename of the directory that np will create to store these files in.

This way, a directory is created based on the newsgroup name and inside this directory, a directory is created based on the filename.

Look at winrar, this also creates a directory based on the filename.

This would be very cool !! cause:

1: when based on ONLY the newsgroup name, all files in this dir that were d/l goes here. This could be messy

2: because the mess created as above, i always make my own directory.

3: when the aboce suggestion is implemented, no more mess and it save me some clicks to create the directory !! This would be very very nice !!
MikeStammer

Post by MikeStammer »

use my program (NPDL Manager), it gets around this limitation

more info at

http://mikestammer.com:81
Mike Stammer
starbbs

Post by starbbs »

Tried it... does not work.. i tried with 2 saved... one crashed (see email) the othet loads just fine, but it show nothing.

I read the whatis.... the idea is usefull but i have to use a second program to do what i want. My posting in this forum has to do with minimal clicking.... jyst press download and voila... everyrhing gets stored in a predefined directory sortted as newsgroup directory and/or subdirs derived from filename
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

If you predefind each newsgroup to it's own folder name, name it the same as the newsgroup!! alt.blah1.blah1.blah1 = C:\Newspro\alt.blah1.blah1.blah1 and uncheck the ask box, highlight what you want to download Alt+K it will save to that folder without promp

defind alt.blah2.blah2.blah to c:\newspro\alt.blah2.blah2.blah2 don't remove the ask check box. each time you hit alt+k it'll save to c:\newspro\alt.blah2.blah2.blah2 and prompt you for a sub folder within that folder.

everything you are asking for is there just takes a bit more step to set it up. it's just not a single checkbox that says save downloads in folder of the group. BUT it's there.

Alex:
the current saveing function is the best it gives way more customization then all the other newsreaders out there. all other with single check box save to news folder! will only dump files to each group folder but there are always more then 1 group carrying one type of stuff. with newspro i'm able to dumb all the anime group into one anime folder, others to others folder

to me it's much better to be able to dump alt.binaries.anime, alt.binaries.muti.anime & alt.binaries.muti.anime.repost all to x:\Anime with the ask box checked to let me name sort each download. But i guess keeping the way it is and having newspro creatting one sub folder withing x:\anime by each alt+k (by file name, just go by 1, 2, 3, 4) might be good too.

But please don't change the way current save to is setup in the future release of newspro 4.0:) .... so when can we start getting more detail on that?
starbbs

Post by starbbs »

The point is (read the complete post) in where a reply was written in where someone said that if all d/l goes to one directory (the newsgroup name like you also explained) it can become messy.

My suggestion say the same thing with an addition that newspro can make an extra condig entry in where you say that all files are stored in the directory with... here it comes:

a subdirectory derived from the filename. This is all i tried to explain. Just the addition to create a subdir in the newsgroup dir
Marek

Post by Marek »

a subdirectory derived from the filename. This is all i tried to explain. Just the addition to create a subdir in the newsgroup dir
Even if you had news pro set up to save cirtain groups to cirtain folders with auto subfolder creation with names derived from headers. Using the names derived from the files wouldnt really add too much more information for you to know what it is with out opening .nfo or extracting the archive.

I do agree a function of where you could save binaries in an auto created sub folder would be kick arse