Newspro 3.74 (trail) and nzb files (newzbin type)

Deadbeef

Newspro 3.74 (trail) and nzb files (newzbin type)

Post by Deadbeef »

The euforia that initially shocked and awed me for the last week, now changed to terror. Newspro isn't doing anything with the NZB files that I open at Newzbin.com.
I've configured NewsPro to open, import, download and save the files, but after I designate a download directory nothing happens. The import dir stays empty.

Did I do something wrong? The trail version is only 6 days old. I'm just new to this, but I sure hope I did do something wrong in the jungle of settings (good job anyhow) NP provides.

Please advise,

Deadbeef
flyace

Re: Newspro 3.74 (trail) and nzb files (newzbin type)

Post by flyace »

Deadbeef wrote:The euforia that initially shocked and awed me for the last week, now changed to terror. Newspro isn't doing anything with the NZB files that I open at Newzbin.com.
I've configured NewsPro to open, import, download and save the files, but after I designate a download directory nothing happens. The import dir stays empty.

Did I do something wrong? The trail version is only 6 days old. I'm just new to this, but I sure hope I did do something wrong in the jungle of settings (good job anyhow) NP provides.

Please advise,

Deadbeef
Not much luck for me either.
Most of the times NewsPro will not show headers after importing the NBZ.
Deadbeef

More detail on the error

Post by Deadbeef »

My server is usenetserver.com

Now I've installed slicknews 1.12 to do some testing with another newsreader.
Slicknews has the same problem with the NZB files.
But not all of the NZB files.
My technical background doesn't go this deep yet, but it might have something to do with message-id's might not being supported by usenetserver.com. Or am I talking complete non-sense here?

I'm at a los. This NZB stuff worked so darn fine the first few day's...

Deadbeef
Deadbeef

Found an error in NewsPro (or my PC)

Post by Deadbeef »

I've associated NZB files in NP. In newzbin I don't save, but open the NZB files. Then NP used to dump the headers into the #import dir.
Now it dowsnt anymore, but it does do it when I double click them in the fileexplorer.

So, now I'm back to the drawing board.
By using windows explorer, the file association works and files are downloaded. Using IE6, the asscociation also works, but no files are queued.

Also in NewsPro the fileassociation with NZB cannot be unselected anymore, the association with zml files stil is switchable.

(but at least I can queue now. Be it with a temporary save action.)

Deadbeef
slotboxed

Post by slotboxed »

from a message Alex wrote on news.software.nntp in June:
the situation with servers is not too bad, i know only one provider -
www.usenetserver.com who doesn't care about their message-id indices so in many
cases when newsreader tries to retrieve article by message id it gets 'no such
article'. for usual newsgroups newspro overcomes it with trying by article
number but i think better users shouldn't use usenetserver until they report it
fixed since there are other uses for the message-id retrieval method (e.g.
keeping some servers only for downloading bodies - message-id direct in
newspro).
Since there is no backup article number when using nzb files, nzb files will also be pretty much useless if the only provider you use is Usenetserver.
Deadbeef

Problem 99% solved.

Post by Deadbeef »

I now know definitly that the problem is in the file association.

Every NZB file is now working. Only direct opening them from IE6 is not giving me the queue. Opening from explorer works. Some bit might reipped over something in my registry. Maybe windows or NewsPro.

Usenerserver wasn't the source of the problems. They seem to be supporting message-id's. Also the other 2 servers in my list (news.tilbu1.nb.home.nl and newszilla.xs4all.nl)

I'm a happy again.

Thanx 4 listening.

Deadbeef (topic can be closed)
Deadbeef

Problem 99% solved.

Post by Deadbeef »

I now know definitly that the problem is in the file association.

Every NZB file is now working. Only direct opening them from IE6 is not giving me the queue. Opening from explorer works. Some bit might reipped over something in my registry. Maybe windows or NewsPro.

Usenerserver wasn't the source of the problems. They seem to be supporting message-id's. Also the other 2 servers in my list (news.tilbu1.nb.home.nl and newszilla.xs4all.nl)

I'm a happy again.

Thanx 4 listening.

Deadbeef (topic can be closed)
alex

Post by alex »

maybe you ran some other program that stole the .nzb association, newspro doesn't warn about it since it checks only in the moment when you open the association submenu, if the association is right it will show .nzb checked.

also if you import files that you previously deleted use edit menu->show deleted headers, if purging for the import group is enabled you need to disable it first (but - as to purging - probably i'll change that in the next version).
Deadbeef

Post by Deadbeef »

Fact!

I did some testing with slicknews, and 123..somethng.
But during my testing I've removed the fileassociation from windows (using the explorer window) . The file association stayed with NewsPro, as before, but the problem is in the association triggered from IE.

The only strange thing is that the association marker in the NewsPro menu with NZB files cannot be cleared.

Purging of the #Import was already set to NO (I did some homework)

Deadbeef