Finding app responsible for non-responding in Windows XP

psycaz

Finding app responsible for non-responding in Windows XP

Post by psycaz »

I am having a problem with Newspro totally freezing and not responding . I am using newspro v 3.75, Windows Xp sp1. I use Zonealarm ( free version) 4.5.538.001 .
Program will be running fine and I will go to say check something like where an artilce is incomplete, using the right mouse click and the program freezes. It will never unfreeze - I have left it sitting for 12 hours. Trying to ctrl+alt+del to check runing processes does nothing. I will get the same thing if I try to go to a drive on the system to say check the parity of the a file, launch IE or do anything else.
I have tried creating a new db, but it keeps happening.

Any ideas?
Thanks
blackdog56

Post by blackdog56 »

Search this forum for Zonealarm. Several versions of it make a lot of news readers have problems.
psycaz

Post by psycaz »

Everything I found referred to problem with actually getting ZA to let Newspro get out to do anything. I can download headers and articles fine. Its if I try to do anything outside of download and save files while Newspro is running. Wasn't sure if they were related.
griffpa

Post by griffpa »

I know it's risky, but have you tried disabling zone alarm to see if the problem goes away?
alex

Post by alex »

since you are using newspro for several years and the problem started recently - try to remember what you installed about the time when it started happening, then uninstall it completely and all should work then. disabling may not work since installed drivers/hooks still may stay there.

it might be some hook connected to user interface, not necessarily zone alarm.

when you find the program responsible - contact their support and they should be able to fix it since the problem happens in their code.