Cannot create thread message

hhsdc34

Cannot create thread message

Post by hhsdc34 »

After I installed the latest version of NewsPro 3.8 I have seen an increase in problems.

1. My system crawls when I download the headers or attempt to open one of the newsgroups. I can not over estimate how slow it makes my system. I double click on one the newsgroups I'm subscribed to and it will take about 1 -2 hours to open up. I cannot do anything else until this is finished. Any idea how to clean this up? I have about 500,000 headers for alt.binaries.multimedia.

2. I have noticed a drastic increase in the number of times I'm getting the "Cannot Create anymore threads" message. This insidious message will close newspro and require me to download all the headers again. Why? What happened to all of the headers? Since I've download and installed 3.8 this has happened at least 5 times. I have no idea when it will happen or why it happens. I see no pattern, other than if Microsoft Messenger crashes, newspro is not far behind with this message. These last five times messenger has not crashed yet Newspro has.

Does anyone else have to live with message? Anyone know how to clean it up?

TIA

HHSDC34
alex

Post by alex »

"Cannot Create anymore threads" is caused by a driver, drivers can meddle (they are given control) with every application thread creation/exit, so if a driver has a bug it may not properly close threads so e.g. they accumulate and in the end reach the maximum and give the error message taking resourses and slowing down the system on the way.

So look for everything that installs drivers/dlls (newspro doesn't), you need to uninstall it completely since even when disabled drivers may remain active. Most probably you installed/updated something, installing v3.8 was just a coincidence, the only thing if you have a firewall try to delete/readd newspro in its definitions, maybe the driver bug somehow was triggered by changing to a different executable.