random 'no such article' - usenetserver.com

nostradamus99

random 'no such article' - usenetserver.com

Post by nostradamus99 »

Hi Alex,

I downloaded 2 movies from alt.binaries.ftn from the same date using nzb files. (with usenetserver, astraweb)
downloaded the first movie without any problems. Second movie, about 80% of the files comes up with 430 No Such Article [NewsPro: joining alt.binaries... didn't help]
This also happens some times when I download the headers instead of using NZB.
A bit frustrating if you come home and find out that Newspro didn't download anything

I also can't remember seeing this issue in older versions that I used (3.76), IF it is a newspro issue..I don't know

Thanks in advance

Aleks
alex

Post by alex »

with .nzb newspro attempts everything reasonable to download bodies.

for usual newsgroups try to reset the newsgroup and download headers again in case the server changed the article numbering (but if you downloaded another movie without problems it shouldn't be the case).

if something expires from the server there is no way to download it from there.

you can also may try to make the error recoverable (edit menu->properties->general, recoverable errors), if it is temporary server issue it may succeed later, but most probably the headers have expired.
nostradamus99

Post by nostradamus99 »

Hi Alex,

I tried to download the parts after some time but still no luck. So I exited Newspro and went back to 3.76 and restarted Newspro.

One after the other file became complete!!!! It looked as if Newspro had downloaded only 99.3 percent of all files (xpat) with 3.80 because the files were 48 MB and it took newspro about 10 minutes to make all files complete with 3.76! (same database)
alex

Post by alex »

the only difference between 3.8 and 3.76 in this respect 3.76 doesn't join a relevant newsgroup after the initial failure for xpat groups, so if an older connection is reused - no newsgroup is selected or if the connection has been reused after a header task - it might be any subscribed group.

if you like - if you can reproduce it (just delete bodies but leave headers for 1 such part and try again in 3.8 ) - i can email you 2 versions which will log what happens, just let me know here. or even better send me the server name, your credentials and what to look for, it would be easier.

reproducing is important since if it is a big server for different connections you may deal with different physical servers.
nostradamus99

Post by nostradamus99 »

I use news.usenetserver.com
I was the group a.b.ftn and I was searching for nygang

Thanks
nostradamus99

Post by nostradamus99 »

You have mail
alex

Post by alex »

ok so here is the problem like i thought:

at the moment news.usenetserver.com is resolved to 2 ip addresses:

63.223.5.246 and 63.223.5.254

63.223.5.246 doesn't have the bodies and 63.223.5.254 has, so depending what physical server a connection has been made to it will or won't give the error.

to fix the problem now (as long as it is the "good" server ip address) you can add in the windows hosts file:

63.223.5.254 news.usenetserver.com

(or rename the server in newspro if you like).

the windows hosts file:

Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

also maybe to report the problem to them so they will synchronize the article pools of the servers.
bassie

Post by bassie »

I recently also became a usenetserver user.

I also used the news.usenetserver.com server.

Until i found out that you can use two servers:

nntp1.usenetserver.com max 4 connections
nntp2.usenetserver.com max 4 connections

(maybe this corresponds to the 2 ip address Alex was talking about?)

So maybe if you use those, you can get all headers? In my case the program downloads faster and more data from nntp2. Maybe, nntp1 and nntp2 sometimes have different headers, and together they are complete?

Sometimes i decrease both connections to 6 because i get an error message.

I hope this is somewhat helpfull.
alex

Post by alex »

nntp1 - 63.223.5.254
nntp2 - 63.223.5.246

they should be fully synchronized including local article numbers since news.usenetserver.com may be resolved to any of them.

if they are not - usenetserver support should be notified, they can fix it.
nostradamus99

Post by nostradamus99 »

I have forwarded your email to usnetserver support..

I will post progress on the call
alex

Post by alex »

actually if these are two servers, since the headers are synchronized you can add them both instead of news.usenetserver.com, make one server message-id direct, not to download headers from it (properties->servers), then when downloading bodies newspro will use both servers (one fails it will go to another one) and if usenetserver checks max number of connections separatedly on every server you can have 4 connection on eacn.
nostradamus99

Post by nostradamus99 »

Hi Alex,

I dont understand..

Do I have to delete news.usenetserver.com under servers and then create the two servers 63.223.5.254 and 63.223.5.246. For one of the servers I select MSG-Id direct(set) don't get headers (set) and for the other server I leave everything default..?
If I create 1 server with Ip adress i get the error that this is an alias for news.usenetserver.com and that I have to delete one them...

Maybe a screenshot picture will tell a thousand words..?

TIA
Aleks
bassie

Post by bassie »

i put in two servers:

nntp1.usenetserver.com (max 4 connections)

and:

nntp2.usenetserver.com (max 4 connections)

so i deleted news.usenetserver.com

At this moment they have problems with their servers (see their homepage)

but this setup works for me
bassie

Post by bassie »

so at this moment i have problems with usenetserver.

20 minutes ago i could not connect, now only two threads work:

1 with nntp1, 1 with nntp2.

I just say because this may thus not be the right time to check your server settings.

but normally it works.
bassie

Post by bassie »

at the moment it looks that they have corrected the problems.

now i am doing xpat searching (works great with newspro by the way) with 4 headers and downloading with 4 headers.

With the nttp1 and nttp2 servers.

:P

When you want to be more on the save side, decrease the number of connections for each server to 3. Sometimes, usenetserver reports that there
are too many connections when you use 4 for each server.