Need a filter for garbage posts

olav

Need a filter for garbage posts

Post by olav »

Hi,
One of my favourite newsgroups - alt.binaries.e-book is being filled with garbage posts like
721ae6867a004949bfb9c77793125b82 [5/13] "721ae6867a004949bfb9c77793125b82.part4.rar"

Any given day has hundreds of them.

How to kill these with a filter, like if there are no blanks within the 30 first characters, then kill it...

regards
Olav
They ain't making bugs like Bunny anymore
alex

Re: Need a filter for garbage posts

Post by alex »

I'll check later today maybe they are filtered out automatically on the server and I need to update the client version then as the code is shared.

More likely it was already filtered out, but they started posting to additional newsgroups.

I'll let you know here later today.
alex

Post by alex »

Try this version:

http://www.usenetexplorer.com/temp/ue571e32.zip

Someone needed those posts for search, so on the server side it blanks the poster, since the poster string is random, on the client side it was left as it is, in this version I added the call to the built in filter for the client to filter out those posts as part of the built-in filter.

Edit menu->Kill Filters->Built in kill filter should be checked

The filter applies only to newly downloaded headers
alex

Post by alex »

It is likely to be the final solution:

http://www.usenetexplorer.com/temp/ue571h32.zip

It also contains a more flexible filter which I can update dynamically.
arthropod

Post by arthropod »

Alex, you move too fast for me. By the time I get some documentation together, there's a new iteration to test.
Brief summary: these random headers are flooding almost every group I monitor. There are two problems. 1. Filtering the headers out and 2. Not accidentally taking out headers of interest.

I'm still trying to decide if the new UE version is addressing #1 sufficiently. That will take more time.

On #2, however, I have a newsgroup alt.binaries.mp3.abooks which is one of the few groups NOT to be hit by the header floods. Instead, posts in that group have all but disappeared. I suspect the built-in filters are taking them out. I don't know of a way to compare headers I receive with the built-in filters on versus off for that group so I can identify what is/is not happening.
alex

Post by alex »

Try this version:

http://www.usenetexplorer.com/temp/ue58b32.zip

I've added the log option in edit menu->properties->kill filters, built in filter. It needs to be enabled on every run as it may write a lot.

You can access the log file fast edit menu->properties->general, database folder, click "Open" and then click on log.txt

I downloaded last 5M headers, what I see it removed 44K single messages posted on January 19 which are parts with randomized subject and author spread over many newsgroups.

But if you will see something wrong let me know.

I'll add it in the next version, I had a thought about it since I have such log option on the server, but it didn't make it through.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (396.44 KiB) Viewed 4022 times