creation of descript.ion files

Post Reply
technomyst
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:01 am

creation of descript.ion files

Post by technomyst »

I know there is a log file and a tool to process this log file, but still, with directory opus 8 and acdsee5 being able to process said descript.ion file it would be great if creation of this file were implemented.
also interesting would be a automatic download-folder creation per newsgroup would be nice, predefining several folders can get tedious.

I know alot of this stems from using a competitors product, but still, especially the descript.ion files do have some widespread support, and without them, some sorting task (pictures and mp3s and so on) become rather tedious.

Mike Stammers tool is good, but still, it is the only tool to process thelog file, which becomes useless if the files downloaded get moved.
For long term storage of header info, which often contains important information like artist genre and so on, the log file by itself just isn't viable.

anyway i hope this suggestion isn't impudent, but i strongly feel that this is important. thanks 8)
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

as far as i know windows has no support for description files, so if you move them directly i'm not sure how it is handled (or acdsee has an option to move the files with updating the description file and one is careful enough to use it or another tool for moving files?). if it makes sense eventually it could be added, but as to now for some time i'll be preoccupied with more general questions.

as to directories usually it makes sense to save a batch to a dedicated directory (the corresponding 'ask' in properties->newsgroups checked in addition to an option to set any initial directory per newsgroup basis), dumping everything in a newsgroup to a single directory would lead to a mess. certainly the current layout when you can maintain any classification including those by content and not necessarily by newsgroup name certainly makes sense. so we are talking about an additional option - defining a base where newsgroup directories will be created and a check box or additional button to activate the option). in such cases at least for now i'm refraining for adding options that can be set in properties (proeprties->newsgroups, browse button) a couple of clicks already.
technomyst
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:01 am

Post by technomyst »

regarding descript.ion files.
This file contains the names of the downloaded files, in following format.

"Filename.extension" any info one deems worthy to keep
(usually: SUBJECT, Poster, Date)
It's a plain text file.

If one uses Directory Opus 8, these descript.ion files get edited when you move files out of a directory, the files which had descript.ion info will keep them whenever you move them or copy them. Of course it also can edit the info of descript.ion files.
Directory Opus is a File Manager which does extremely well and soon will have unicode handling, which will then make the Windows Explorer obsolete (at least for me).

Also there's a tool called .ionEngine which can batch move files by specific customizable rules, so that the single folder strategy works out.
I usually download large sets of files. Always defining a folder for each and every of them, thats something i don't have the time for. With this tool i can automate this process and fine tune it whenever i have time. This tool also preseves descript.ion file info and is ideal for managing these "cluttered" folders. I usually spend a few minutes cleaning the group folders, where i would have spent, at least, four times as much time if i had done this while creating a downloadqueue (this refers largely to mp3 and picture downloads).

Regarding ACDSee5, that program has a own database which imports the descript.ion information automatically when files are moved, a suboptimal solution (as descript.ion files don't carry over that way), but it is still useful, if only for displaying large sets of pictures with descript.ion information.

Anyway, i do not want to impose anything, i merely think that this is a viable timesaver for end users like me.
Thanks for reading 8)
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

in principle it is very easy to write a program that will fill in the description file from the saved attachments log, the file can be shared, just to check when the file size has been changed and to fill in details in the desired format, the information includes everything including the file path, so the location is known, here is an example of information about a saved attachment:

File-Path: F:\Brahms - 01 - Violin Concerto In D Major, Op 77 - Allegro Non Troppo.ape
File-Date: Mon, Nov 15, 2004 23:42
Subject: Vengerov / Barenboim / Chicago SO (yEnc APE) [04/10] Brahms - 01 - Violin Concerto In D Major, Op 77 - Allegro Non Troppo.ape (001/234) ... (234/234) - Reassembly
From: Sonata Man <sonataman@nowhere.com>
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.sounds.lossless,alt.binaries.sounds.misc,alt.binaries.sounds.music.classical
Date: Sat, May 25, 2002 20:14
Text:
[ Brahms - 01 - Violin Concerto In D Major, Op 77 - Allegro Non Troppo.ape ] (Attachment)
.

if it is not in the NPDL Manager try to ask the author to add the option http://www.mikestammer.com/newspro/ just i'll be concentrating on other aspects for some time.
technomyst
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:01 am

Post by technomyst »

Thanks for your reply, although i'm sad about it, i'll try and ask the author of mentioned program to add this option.
However i am still hopeful to see a option for such files to be created within newspro, sometime 8) .
Post Reply