Server subset (?)

Kristi

Server subset (?)

Post by Kristi »

Okay, I've got two servers set up correctly so that one gets all the stuff and the second only gets fills needed.
My primary is astraweb. Secondary is Verizon.
Poking around the astraweb site they suggested I could use
pbdl.news.astraweb.com instead of (or in addition to?)(I'll ask them) news.astraweb.com .

So I started to add a new server but noticed that I could add a "server subset" and so I stopped to ask here!

the subset thing asks for numb of tasks. I thought 3 since I have 6 max and 6 for my present first and second servers. But then I'd have to knock down the first name... and I got very confused!!! I think ideal for me would be 3 tasks on news.astraweb.com(priority2), 3 tasks on pbdl.news.astraweb.com(priority2), and 6 tasks on verizon(priority1), with max taqsks=6. Or something like that. But I got confused by the subset thing.

I would assume the headers on these two astraweb server names would be the same (maybe I shouldn't...)

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Kristi
Shuttle AN35N Ultra, XP2600Bart(11.5x400), 512mb, GeF4Ti4200, WinXPproSP1.
alex

Post by alex »

you don't need subsets for servers that are not related, subsets are only needed when you have provider restrictions, for example they limit the number of connections across several servers in one or another form.

so you just need to use priorities with strict flags.

if a server is only for fills and you don't need its headers - you can make it message-id direct and don't download headers for it - properties->servers, msg-id direct area.
Kristi

Post by Kristi »

"you don't need subsets for servers that are not related, subsets are only needed when you have provider restrictions, for example they limit the number of connections across several servers in one or another form."

This question was for two names for astraweb:
news.astraweb.com
pbdl.news.astraweb.com

So they are related, but there are no download limits...
Kristi
Kristi

Post by Kristi »

"if a server is only for fills and you don't need its headers - you can make it message-id direct and don't download headers for it - properties->servers, msg-id direct area."

okay so I checked msgiddirect on the secondary, and detached the newsgroups from the secondary... But how will the primary know if the secondary has a header, or part that the primary does not have, and therefore has no message-ID for?
Kristi