Get header/articles tasks hang and will not cancel

ratty_burger

Get header/articles tasks hang and will not cancel

Post by ratty_burger »

Occasionally I get either a Header or Article task that hangs, and even if I highlight it, it will not cancel. Sometimes, after several minutes it will hang, but at other times it's still running nearly 30 minutes later. If I try to exit or reboot the pc, Newspro acts like an emergency exit, and looses all history of headers and artilces it had.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or options I can change. Using latest 3.75
alex

Post by alex »

most probably it is a firewall bug.

when you cancel a task newspro closes the socket from another thread, normally it should make the current socket operation (if it is in progress) to exit fast so newspro can reuse the task slot for another task, but a buggy firewall may not process asynchronous operations correctly.

since firewall has a driver it tracks opening of every thread, sits in the middle of every socket operation and also may perform cleanup on every thread exit (including the application itself); if the driver is in an unstable state everything may happen also it sits in the system mode so it affects all the system. in short better to replace the firewall with another software that works.

so if you uninstall the firewall (or anything else that might mess with sockets) the problem should be gone (just disabling may not help since the driver is still there).

in principle newspro could set a flag instead and wait until network threads check the flag and exit, but then it will be much slower to exit newspro or cancel tasks, especially if there is timeout on some tasks, it then might take several minutes until tasks exit. i'm not sure this kind of fault tolerancy is needed, there is no justification why closing a socket from another thread wouldn't work.