Error 501

Badsector00

Error 501

Post by Badsector00 »

Hello People,
I keep having a problem with NP when downloading Headers from Newsgroups. I have used NP before and just started having this problem. I subscribe to MANY Newsgroups. When downloading headers from all of them I get an Error 501: userid: Connection Limit Exceeded 4>3 or 5>3. I can't find ANY reference to this error code ANYWHERE!!! Any idea what this means?? This might be a server problem, but I use another News program as well and have no such errors. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike
alex

Post by alex »

you need to adjust the number of connections in properties->servers.

it looks like your server allows 3 connections. so if the number of connections for the server is more than 3 (most likely case) - just make it 3.

if the number is 3 or less - try to toggle keep-alive in properties->general, also you may try to introduce connection delay for the server (properties->servers).

if you run several programs at the same time they may consume connections even when not active (for newspro it is when keep-alive is enabled).

also you can increase the number of retries (properties->servers) and then you need to make the error recoverable - in properties->general add |error*501 or something like that - a wildmat matching the actual error message - to the recoverable errors edit box - then newspro will retry several times before failing the task, by default any 5xx error defined as "fatal" in the nntp protocol, for exceeding connection number they were usually using 400.