Search service down

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address in the meantime. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.

11 Jun 24: The import stage of the trial searches (the registered users are not affected) may be limited in the meantime, in part the impact of the tunnel code (see the top note above) should be reviewed. The current development work deems more important, but the matter will be looked into likely towards the next release.

RDC

Search service down

Post by RDC »

The search function isn't working properly anymore.

I get the response:
"Search failed
No connection could be made because the target machine
actively refused it. (System: 10061)"

I'm using a registered version of UE, so I suppose something's up with the search server...
Leechmonkey

Post by Leechmonkey »

same here. :?:
alex

Post by alex »

yes back then the computer with the server locked and had to be restarted. also the hard drive needed to be defragmented. database intact, it is working since then.
RDC

Post by RDC »

Yep, works fine again. Thanks.
alex

Post by alex »

the server is currently being restarted, will be up in ten minutes.

i may restart it few times during the day as i'll be adding some options.
alex

Post by alex »

i'm restarting the server, will be up in 10 minutes, a straightforward upgrade, so just shutdown and restart.
dengle

Post by dengle »

The search service will be down for approximately 15 minutes
alex

Post by alex »

i'm currently restarting the server, an upgrade, up in 15 min
alex

Post by alex »

another upgrade, restarting it, now it will restart faster, replaced more microsoft garbage with my own code.
alex

Post by alex »

restarted, i improved things quite a bit, there were few words like par2 which weren't searched well when the exact file name is entered, i fixed that.

i'll check bug reports with v2.1, i'm planning to release version with changed protocol version, we have now a lot of parasite server users through server trial hack using newsleecher as client, it shouldn't happen again since i got an agreement from the hack author (otherwise the option to close the server for trial accesses for import header stage will be the most real possibility, i don't want to play a cat mouse game, for registered version a serial derivative is used to protect data so it is not possible to hack). the problem is continues already for some time, i just was sick so work wasn't moving well, but all appears to be better now.
dengle

Post by dengle »

The index service will be down for approximately 20-30 minutes while the server undergoes maintenance (reboot)
dengle

Post by dengle »

the server will be inaccessible while Microsoft hotfix ms06-001 is applied and the server rebooted. estimated downtime 30 minutes
Marten Fokkens

Search function down?

Post by Marten Fokkens »

I receive this message since a few hours:

"Search failed
jaapf

Re: Search function down?

Post by jaapf »

Marten Fokkens wrote:I receive this message since a few hours:

"Search failed
Probably still applying the microsoft hotfix?
Dutch? Visit the Dutch UE/Newspro forum at: http://www.binaries4all.nl
Nederlandse UE handleiding op http://www.binaries4all.nl/ue
English UE tutorial online at http://www.binaries4all.com/ue/
Handy links at: http://jpfx.zapto.org/
dengle

Post by dengle »

sorry for the delay, i thought i restarted the service when the machine came back up! :oops: