v1.2 problems

Michaelm

v1.2 problems

Post by Michaelm »

It's been shutting down on me too much since V1.2.

Here's the logfile :

<snip>
bassie

Post by bassie »

diskspace is plentiful.

but maybe the disc on which the database resides?

look at: disk ... GB free at the bottom.
dengle

Post by dengle »

what newsgroup type are you using? message-id direct, compact binary?

perhaps you are running out of physical RAM which can cause crashes or hard drive crashes.

Also, run memtest86 to be on the safe-side. you could have a memory issue.
MrEman

Post by MrEman »

Another user had the same problem...

Try this...
Do you have UE going to the system tray as an icon when minimized?
(bottom right where the clock is)
Change settings to make it go to the task bar when minimized.....
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I'm using compact binary for all newsgroups.
I have plenty of disk space so that shouldn't be a problem.
I don't have it set to minimize to the system tray.

I have it running on a different pc and it happened a few times allready that I came back and UE was terminated.

I could try using memtest and see what that brings.
alex

Post by alex »

i saved your crash log before snipping it, but better email me the whole log.txt to alex at usenetopia com

i'll check it (it is fast to check), just right now i don't have access to necessary files. did crashes happen also before v1.2?

before v1.2 the picture with crashes was satisfactory, with v1.2 i didn't add any sensitive code, the only thing i had a long lasting nasty cold i'm not sure whether it could influence something, but anyway i'll check the situation with crashes starting around the first week of January and rectify everything if there is any pattern of repeated crashes.

the previous version is here:

http://www.netwu.com/ue/ue119reg.zip

i've just got all latest crash statistics i'll check it tomorrow when i get to the necessary tools, other users i asked don't have any problems, but i'll get back here after i check all info i have now available.
alex

Post by alex »

i found some problem with v1.2, i've upgraded it yesterday to v1.21

on December, 14 i changed something in the underlying library (just my brother uses it everywhere and he pointed out to something not logical).

but it was too much for the compiler, i'm using templates pushing compiler to the limits, it is like when i want to treat apples as apples or fruits so it will be strictly defined, but when i compare apples as apples the compiler was comparing them as fruits, so because i don't want to sacrifice the library i found a way to make it work by narrowing the usage pattern.

it could affect the program workings when e.g. purging records when the messages were crossposted.

i'll monitor the situation, i just want to keep the underlying framework integrity, otherwise the program will be less flexible to develop in the future.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

It's been running stable on me since v1.21.
I did delete everything in my database beforehand.
Had to delete a few newsgroups and add 'm again to get them to zero messages.
Also it turned out that some of my memory was faulty.
I'm getting it replaced soon. Memtest gave errors between the 1200-1300MB zone. Dunno if that even gets used after newspro got the sack
:roll:
Well anyway thanks very much for looking into it and all credit is due to you :!: , not that faulty memory.
bassie

Post by bassie »

you used memtest,

i am interested too in that program. I also used it but i don't know if i should run it for a long time like hours, or a day.?
RDC

Post by RDC »

You'll know quick enough if your memory has a fault with Memtest.
Normally within the hour it has run several tests already.

If you think your problem is somehow related to heat or maybe power instability, then you should do a test of multiple hours. But even then your case might not heat up enough to get the same result as after hours of gaming.

Then again, if you got the time, a long test run couldn't hurt...

Keep in mind that incorrect or overclocked memory setting (in the BIOS menu's) could create memory errors while the memory sticks are okay.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I let it run for like 9 to 10 hours while I was at work.
alex

Post by alex »

Any part of RAM may be used for any application, especially for UE.

In my understanding system fills all RAM with data, because it prefers to fill unused RAM than to push previously used memory with meaningful and potentially reusable data (even when you copy files the memory is filled with useful data) out of memory.

So with UE e.g. during saving attachments all RAM will be filled with hard drive content, since while working on the server I saw it pushing its database out of memory during intensive disk operations and I had to take care of it.

In short all of the memory should work perfectly, otherwise estimating roughly e.g. if an application is using 100MB of memory out of 1GB and there is a bad memory address somethere there is 10% chance it will affect the application data at any moment whatever is the affected memory range as long as the memory used is expanding (e..g due to hard drive read/write operations).
bassie

Post by bassie »

I also get restarts of computer, but i had it before, could be the computer. However, it seems like it indeed happens when ue is working.
i am testing memtest86 as well at the moment. Should i use only the standard test?

Already few hours no problem with memory. I just let it go on in the evening.
alex

Post by alex »

computer restarts are something different, it is some kind of hardware conflict or malfunction, not necessarily caused by RAM, it might be a driver or hardware.

e.g. i have here creative audio card, when i launch AudioHQ program the computer restarts, some trouble with the card or i need to reinstall drivers/software, i'm just lazy to check it out since otherwise the sound works ok.

as to memory if UE data structures in RAM is corrupted (e.g. in the database which is mapped into RAM), it cannot crash the system but it may cause UE crash within the session (as to the next session there are additional layers of data protection so the probability of "infecting" the next session is small).
RDC

Post by RDC »

If you are using Windows XP, then it will reboot when it encounters a critical error. Not very handy, because you will not see the "blue screen" that most of the time tells you something about why it crashes in the first place.

How to disable automatic reboot in windows XP:
Start -> Control Panel -> System
Go to tab 'Advanced'
Click 'Settings' button at 'Startup and Recovery' section
Remove the checkmark at 'Automatically Restart'
Reboot your system to apply the changes.

When you get a blue screen, note down the STOP message with all the numbers and do a Google search. Sometimes even the driver (DLL) that's the problem is mentioned on the blue screen, which helps a lot.

Some crashes, but not all, are repported in the System Event log.
Start -> Control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer
Look through all the messages at the time of reboot (also the informational events!). Also look in the Application log to see if an application or service is messing your system up.

Hope this helps you find out what's happening.